CO2 vs. Priming Sugar Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm newish to kegging, helped my dad a few times, but have always bottled my own.

I'm just wondering the pros/cons of burst carbonating, slow carbonating, and using priming sugar for my carbonation.

I'm planning on kegging about half of my batch of Kölsch that I'm currently fermenting in a corny keg, the other half will be bottled.

Obviosly the bottles will be done with priming sugar, but what is the general best way to carbonate in the keg? I've got all the time in the world for conditioning, I'd just love to drink it ASAP, (much like most of would).

I've carbonated through the liquid line, and through the gas line with force carbing, and I've seen corny keg lids with a diffusion stone.

Any recommendations?

I prefer the set and forget method. If you got the time, this will get your beer near perfect in a couple of weeks, while allowing it to cold condition, and for some of the fines to drop out. If you plan to keg condition only 1/2 a keg volume, be sure to purge as much of the head space as possible, and get some CO2 on top. Or, you could keg the entire batch, and bottle what you want down the road. Bottle conditioning, and force carbonation take arguably the same time.
Many other ways to skin this cat, this is just my 2 cents.

I prefer the set and forget method. If you got the time, this will get your beer near perfect in a couple of weeks, while allowing it to cold condition, and for some of the fines to drop out. If you plan to keg condition only 1/2 a keg volume, be sure to purge as much of the head space as possible, and get some CO2 on top. Or, you could keg the entire batch, and bottle what you want down the road. Bottle conditioning, and force carbonation take arguably the same time.
Many other ways to skin this cat, this is just my 2 cents.
My one track mind didn't even consider set it and forget it carbonating, then bottling off of that. That would probably be the easiest.

Thanks for the idea!

Back