co2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny1982

Reaction score
does anyone have reccomondations on places to get co2 tanks for a reasonable price? Do the tanks need to be aluminum?

Thanks,
Ben

Craigslist and local shops. Make sure they are in date. I got a 20# fill and alum tank for $130 cash from my local gas place. Thought that was pretty good. Not sure if you have one near by but call around find best price and compare to online or the tank guy.

Found a whole system on cl for $40, full 5# tank included... Scrapped his fridge for $30. Tank was steel and out of service, used it anyhow and will scrap it too when done maybe get $5, hoping. Ha.

I'm pretty frugal and love to haggle so I go the extra to find deals, just takes time, which is free for me ha...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Just bought a tank from this guy and it was del. fast. They are reconditioned but most places just swap them out when you go to get gas. He has a sale right now for $34 +shipping 5lb. He also sells new ones but i think that is a waste because most likely it will be swapped out for a crappy looking one.

http://www.bvrgelements.com/category/Tanks/

+1 for Scotty. The hydro date was recent and the shipping was fast. Aluminum has two advantages. It's lighter, and it doesn't rust if you keep it inside your keezer. I keep mine on the outside...gives me room for another keg, so I went steel and saved the money.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Home Brew mobile app

I just pulled the trigger last night and ordered a 20# steel CO2 tank. It was cheaper than the aluminum, even after shipping!

After buying a brand new tank online, I found that I couldn't get it filled in NYC easily (mostly nobody does it). I then found a gas supply place nearby that will do swaps. I could have just bought the first one from them for less, or just left a deposit for swaps. I'm doing that anyway now.

Find a local gas supply place and get it there, you'll end up there anyway for the gas.

Buying one from Airgas would have cost me more than double what I paid Scott and I still would have had to exchange it.

I bought my tank from Scorr last June (20#). Recent date and took it to my local supply place. They filled it (not swapped) for $17.50 (with my discount from my LHBS) and I'm still above 60% on the tank (even with a leaky keg that took me a week to figure out where it was leaking from).

+1 for Scotty.
Placed the order Friday around 1:00 had tracking information by 5:00. Haven't received the tank yet, but the service so far has been awesome.

+1 for Scotty.
Placed the order Friday around 1:00 had tracking information by 5:00. Haven't received the tank yet, but the service so far has been awesome.

Well, I haven't received tracking info yet, but we'll see... just emailed him to find out what the tracking info is.

Received my tank yesterday. I'm wishing I'd spent the extra $20 or so for an aluminum tank! :D The top of the box was soaked and the top of the tank was muddy like it had been taken out of the shipping box, dropped into a mudbank and then put back into the box for delivery, but hey... it was easy enough to clean off...some wet paper towels and it's as clean as new. :)

Have you checked into the refilling near you? The aluminum/steel doesn't much matter if you have to do swaps. If you have places that will refill cheap, aluminum is nicer for weight reasons (prettier too). If swaps, just order whatever is cheaper to get including shipping as it will ship empty and most of the time when you swap you end up with an aluminum one.

Have you checked into the refilling near you? The aluminum/steel doesn't much matter if you have to do swaps. If you have places that will refill cheap, aluminum is nicer for weight reasons (prettier too). If swaps, just order whatever is cheaper to get including shipping as it will ship empty and most of the time when you swap you end up with an aluminum one.

Yeah. I may try and do a swap at the Airgas near me... they'll probably give me aluminum. :) Then I can take it to my favorite fire protection place in Chattanooga (next big city where I can get a refill instead of a swap) and get it refilled... or just continue to swap, since it's a used tank anyway.... and keep my pretty aluminum 5# tank for my refills. :)

I got mine yesterday also. Had the handle broken. Can't blame that on Scotty as the damage to the box was apparent. I contacted him and he is shipping out a new one to me and I'm filing a claim with UPS. Unfortunate, but no way reflects on the seller. He 's been extremely good to deal with. I would recommend him to anyone.

Yeah. I may try and do a swap at the Airgas near me... they'll probably give me aluminum. :) Then I can take it to my favorite fire protection place in Chattanooga (next big city where I can get a refill instead of a swap) and get it refilled... or just continue to swap, since it's a used tank anyway.... and keep my pretty aluminum 5# tank for my refills. :)

Yep, and do a swap when the hydro is about due.

So, I just ran to Airgas and swapped out the tank I'd gotten from Scott. They didn't even look at the hydro date, just swapped it out for me. Unfortunately it was for another steel tank. :( Oh, well... at least I have a full 20# tank now. :)

I told the folks at AirGas what Scotty was charging and they couldn't believe the price. :) I dunno where Scotty is getting these, but he must not be paying a heck of a lot if he has to pay for a new hydro test and everything!

AirGas has a metric crap ton of national infrastructure to finance - facilities and staff - so it's not surprising they can't compete with used tank prices provided by a one man band ;)

On the up side, they can eat things like out-of-date tanks without blinking an eye. Try that with your local independent refiller...

Cheers!

I payed for a 20 pound aluminum co2 tank and he shipped me a steel tank. Now if I wanted a steel tank I would have saved the money and bought one. Also FYI Ebay has better prices than scott on all tanks and you can see a picture of the exact used item you are buying.
EBAY = Yes
[email protected] = BAD:mad:

Talk to [email protected]
As the guy sells a good product lower priced then what you will find locally in
Most cases...very easy to work with and he ships quick

I payed for a 20 pound aluminum co2 tank and he shipped me a steel tank. Now if I wanted a steel tank I would have saved the money and bought one. Also FYI Ebay has better prices than scott on all tanks and you can see a picture of the exact used item you are buying.
EBAY = Yes
[email protected] = BAD

EBAY = Yes

EBAY = Yes
[email protected] = BAD

2 whole duplicate posts by you and both are BAD. Sorry about a bad experience. Have you contacted the seller yet? It was probably a mistake, a human error. Think twice about bad mouthing a reputable seller with a great history. It's all in your nick, huh? Cottonmouths are venomous...

I got a tank, 20# steel... I am a super big cheapskate and I checked everywhere for as good of a deal I got from Scotty. I haven't seen anything on Ebay or craigslist close to what I paid with ship. I'm guessing the mistake of sending the wrong one was an error, bet you'd get a return of the difference and maybe even a discount on another. Heck, take it to the shop, ask for a swap and see what the difference is for the alum and notify Scotty.

EBAY = Yes

Links to these Ebay "deals"?

Just bought a tank from this guy and it was del. fast. They are reconditioned but most places just swap them out when you go to get gas. He has a sale right now for $34 +shipping 5lb. He also sells new ones but i think that is a waste because most likely it will be swapped out for a crappy looking one.

http://www.bvrgelements.com/category/Tanks/

+1 on beverage elements. I think it was under $50 with shipping. Arrived quickly, tank was in great shape- reconditioned, stamp was current within 90 days, very well done. Cheapest price I could find.

+1 on beverage elements. I think it was under $50 with shipping. Arrived quickly, tank was in great shape- reconditioned, stamp was current within 90 days, very well done. Cheapest price I could find.

Thanks... might have to get a 5# down the road for a stout tap/beer gas mix. 20#s are $68 before ship but paid Scotty $68 with ship...

Thanks... might have to get a 5# down the road for a stout tap/beer gas mix. 20#s are $68 before ship but paid Scotty $68 with ship...

Just remember nitro/beer gas requires a different valve than CO2. CGA 580.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just remember nitro/beer gas requires a different valve than CO2. CGA 580.

What I was reading you can use co2 cylinders fine. Gas guy said they just fill those as well... I think if it's mixed it's acceptable.

What I was reading you can use co2 cylinders fine. Gas guy said they just fill those as well... I think if it's mixed it's acceptable.

I have a dedicated nitro regulator that uses the special valve. I swap my tanks instead of having them filled, which makes the CGA 580 valve a necessity. Makes sense in your case
to keep things simple with the standard valve.

I have a dedicated nitro regulator that uses the special valve. I swap my tanks instead of having them filled, which makes the CGA 580 valve a necessity. Makes sense in your case
to keep things simple with the standard valve.

That's a good ways down the road... I'm hoping when my 20# co2 runs dry they will exchange it for 2 5# tanks. One co2 and one beer gas.

I don't know why you had issues with Scotty but I got a great tank for lower then any around here and it came within 2 days...I highly recommend him as do 99% of those who have purchased from him

Just got a nitrogen tank and an oxygen tank from him. Nitro tank was 11 10 hydro test and O2 was 09 13. Both in great shape and quick shipping.

Back