co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuenro02

Reaction score
Hey Guys-

Im making the switch to kegging and the last thing I need is a co2 tank. Where do you guys suggest to get one? Can I get one from a local welding store? What size? I've heard people say something about 10 lb are about the same price as 5 lb?Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks

Bobby

watch craigslist. sometimes a good tank will come up for a little bit of a discount. If you don't like heavy things, get aluminium. Otherwise steel will work fine. Lastly, when searching craigslist, keep an eye out for complete kegerators and cornelius 'corny' kegs. Sometimes a used kegerator post will have extra kegs and co2 included.

Yes, $45 is about the best you will do. At least in my area, getting CO2 is like getting propane for your grill/burner. You have to buy a tank to do an exchange before they will switch it out and give you a full one. I like the 5lb one because I can store a keg and the tank in the mini-fridge and keep it all in one, tidy spot.

i'd get the biggest that will fit in the fridge. You might get the 5 lb for $20 less than a 10, but the cost to fill the 10 will only be a couple bucks more than the 5lb. A few fills and the 10 pays for itself.

I bought one from harbor freight tools $89.99 on sale. With my 20% off coupon scored it for $75. Did I mention it's a 20ft3 or about 5 lbs.

Santa Claus bought me another one :)

If you do get a brand new one then try calling local Fire Equipment/Safety Suppliers. We have two here in Iowa City that refill CO2 tanks instead of exchanging your tank. I used to take my 20 lb tank to a local welding supply store for exchange (at $33) and now I can refill it at these other places for $20.

Kind of dependent on your system and space. Larger tanks will last "forever" if you don't leak. I have two (one permanently on the keezer and one used to push cleanser/sanitizer/beer at racking). I like using 20# for the racking one because it is heavy enough to not tip over, falling and breaking the regulator, when moving around and handling the gas line (I also have a couple 5# but now only used for insurance, portability).

As to finding one, CL is the gold standard. -Restaurant liquidation sales aren't a bad place either. Make friends with welders, firemen, divers etc... most like beer too and have connections!

Werbi

I swapped an empty 5#er for a full 20#er for $35 bucks. I thought that was a pretty damn good deal if I do say so for myself.

Lot's of good info on here so I won't add any further input on where to get a tank. I just had to throw in my deal because you can find them if you keep your eyes open.

You can use a paintball tank and get the adaptor/regulator combo from lowes for 50... Cost 5 bucks to fill... and its portable... thats what I have.

Does anyone know if the big aluminum ones have to be tested every 5 years like a paintball tank?

Latest posts

Back