Co2 tank slow leak? No co2 on beer? Help lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So I just have my first beer on my keggerator i just bought and the 1st time i was using a semi old c02 tank i was assuming was close to being empty and it seemed like thr tank ended. Sooo i just got a brand new 5 lb c02 tank went to hook it up and i tighten everything heard no hissing or anything. I did tighten the regulator to the c02 tank bottle with channel locks because i didnt have a wrench that big.

Over the next few days i keept checking on the regulator to make sure the psi was staying steady and it was so I thought I was good to go.

Today I went to pull the beer off and it seemed a lil flat and i checked it was still at about 8 psi.

So i went to pull the pressure relief value on the keg an no gas came out?

So i reconnected eveything and got some gas in then the bottle just completly went empty.

I'm not sure why because the pressure never dropped below my 8psi but maybe there was a slow leak and co2 was never in the keg? Even tho i had checked this one i 1st attached the keg?

So now I have to go out and buy a whole new co2 tank when this shoulda lasted another like 4 or 5 kegs lol and there is no co2 on my beer so I'm assuming thats going to go bad and flat?

The typical CGA 320 regulator stem requires a nylon or fiber washer to be stuffed into the cylinder valve orifice. They look similar to this:

CO-6N-2.jpg

If you don't use the washer you'll definitely leak gas.

Otoh, some regulator couplers have captive gaskets like this one:

440-17r-flatseal-b2_1.jpg

These don't require a washer as long as the captive gasket is viable. If it's damaged or missing and a replacement isn't handy you can usually stuff a nylon or fiber washer in and go with that combo.

fwiw, a five pound cylinder should dispense up to 20 kegs or more.

Beyond that there are plenty of opportunities for gas leaks, especially at the keg end...

Cheers!

The typical CGA 320 regulator stem requires a nylon or fiber washer to be stuffed into the cylinder valve orifice. They look similar to this:

CO-6N-2.jpg

If you don't use the washer you'll definitely leak gas.

Otoh, some regulator couplers have captive gaskets like this one:

440-17r-flatseal-b2_1.jpg

These don't require a washer as long as the captive gasket is viable. If it's damaged or missing and a replacement isn't handy you can usually stuff a nylon or fiber washer in and go with that combo.

fwiw, a five pound cylinder should dispense up to 20 kegs or more.

Beyond that there are plenty of opportunities for gas leaks, especially at the keg end...

Cheers!
I had the washer in place:/

In that case I would suspect the keg.

When you get your cylinder refilled, before you attach a keg to it, do some basic leak testing. With the keg connector removed from the keg, the cylinder valve open and the regulator shut-off valve open (ie: gas will make it all the way to the keg connector) use some leak detector or make your own (a thick-ish mix of dishwashing liquid and water) and check the coupler to cylinder connection, check all four threaded ports at the regulator body, check both sides of the shut-off valve, and dunk the keg disconnect in water to see if it's holding gas.

If you get through that without finding a leak, then attach your keg - but leave the beer line disconnected - and do whatever you can to determine if either of the posts or the keg lid or the lid PRV are holding pressure. Eventually you'll find the leak...

Cheers!

In that case I would suspect the keg.

When you get your cylinder refilled, before you attach a keg to it, do some basic leak testing. With the keg connector removed from the keg, the cylinder valve open and the regulator shut-off valve open (ie: gas will make it all the way to the keg connector) use some leak detector or make your own (a thick-ish mix of dishwashing liquid and water) and check the coupler to cylinder connection, check all four threaded ports at the regulator body, check both sides of the shut-off valve, and dunk the keg disconnect in water to see if it's holding gas.

If you get through that without finding a leak, then attach your keg - but leave the beer line disconnected - and do whatever you can to determine if either of the posts or the keg lid or the lid PRV are holding pressure. Eventually you'll find the leak...

Cheers!
How long do you think my beer can last with no c02 on it cause my home brew store is closed and I cant get co2 till Tuesday:/

Well, there's some - remaining from fermentation.
But the only thing that can hurt the beer is on the outside of the keg, so keep it sealed and cold until you get your cylinder refilled/swapped...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back