CO2 tank help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake37

Reaction score
I am looking for a used CO2 tank and I have come across a few, but they look fairly old. Is there anything I should look for when searching used co2 tanks?

Hi

CO2 tanks get re-certified every 10 years if they are the normal steel ones. They get stamped each time the testing is done. I have seen many that are older than I am and I'm not exactly young...

If your used tank does not have a stamp on it that's < 10 years old the gas fill up guy *may* charge you to get it re-tested. $30 is a typical charge. Often if you take the bottle back to the people who last filled it (sticker on the tank) they won't charge you for a re-cert even if the bottle is old.

Best guess - assume the Craig's List tanks are out of date and you'll spend to get them re-tested. If you get lucky, you get lucky. You will swap out the tank on your first fill, so it's only yours for a short time.

Bob

Go to your local gas service provider and just get the size tank you want that is already full.

The first time, they will charge you a rental fee for the tank, which is usually FAR less than purchasing your own tank.

Rather than droping off your tank and waiting for a refill, when the tank gets empty you simply exhange it for one that is full...in and out.

This also avoids YOU having to keep track of re-cert, etc.

If you are worried about the condition of the tank, be nice to your provider and even bring in a cool six-pack...I got a tour of the place and everytime I go exchange an empty tank, I get to run out back and pick the nicest, cleanest one I can find...even aluminum!!!

:mug:

I'm not sure where you are located but Roberts oxygen has always been a good source for me. I bought an old used co2 tank. I paid $50 for the co2 tank and traded the tank in for a new one for $25. The new tank was also filled. Roberts oxygen never even looks at the date, they just trade you an empty tank for a full tank. You just pay for the co2. I think it's like $20 for a 5lb tank $22.50 for a 10lb tank and $25 for a 20lb tank. So get a big one, it will last you forever.

Thanks for the tips guys. Just bottled my second batch and I really am looking forward to kegging instead.

I just filled a tank that hadn't been certified in 20+ years, but it still has positive pressure, it cost me $20 extra and a week to get it certified.

Hi

CO2 tanks get re-certified every 10 years if they are the normal steel ones. They get stamped each time the testing is done. I have seen many that are older than I am and I'm not exactly young...

If your used tank does not have a stamp on it that's < 10 years old the gas fill up guy *may* charge you to get it re-tested. $30 is a typical charge. Often if you take the bottle back to the people who last filled it (sticker on the tank) they won't charge you for a re-cert even if the bottle is old.

Best guess - assume the Craig's List tanks are out of date and you'll spend to get them re-tested. If you get lucky, you get lucky. You will swap out the tank on your first fill, so it's only yours for a short time.

Bob

Aluminum gers recertified every 5 years and the cost is somewhere around $15.00.

GAAAAHHH - my long post was deleted !!!

Consider a paintball tank setup if there is a cheap fill nearby that's open late. It's much more convenient for me, takes up less space in the fridge and leaks are cheap !

Back