co2 secondary in the freezer compartment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
My new 1947 kegerator is about finished. For lack of space, "if" I chose to install a row of secondary regulators they would have to reside up in the freezer compartment and slowly get iced up between the periodic manual defrosting...the regs would sit about 1-1.5" up off the actual freezer/freon plate so ice would slowly creep up towards the bottom of the regs.

it's an old 1940s refrigerator with a small freezer compartment, just like your old dorm fridge back in your college days...and I current have zero interest in mounting anything outside or cutting/drilling thru the unit other than the shanks.

how does freezing temps affect regulator performance? There is a rubber/neoprene/something diaphragm inside but not sure at what temps it might become too stiff to function properly? Obviously once the air vents/bleed holes on the cover get iced over it will not function correctly, but by then it's defrost time anyway.

The secondary regs would sit where you currently see some coiled beer line and a cardboard box. The kegs and tank completely fill the lower section. Yes, I supposed I could try to remove the drip tray but I really kinda need that in place for defrosting...
IMG_3398.JPG

Not trying to be a PITA, but, IMO, better to put the gauges outside the fridge, keezer, etc. Why? Moisture inside might ruin the regulator gaskets, cause rusting, etc.

Freezing the regulators will make the gaskets brittle over time. Brittle gaskets leak/break/fall apart meaning wasted CO2 meaning wasted $$.
Freezing gaskets might also make them stick. When the regulator is turned the turning force might damage the stuck gasket.

I thought most fridge door don't have coolant lines running thru them. Possibly consider running the CO2 lines thru the door?

Keezer.jpg

As seen in the photo the secondary CO2 regulators are outside the keezer.

engineering wise yes....aesthetically no...

I really don't wanna ruin the beauty of this old fridge...that's why I want to go that route...it is not just functional, but pleasing to the eye and sits in the living room as "art" if you will...

IMG_1599.JPG

Freezing the regulators will make the gaskets brittle over time. Brittle gaskets leak/break/fall apart meaning wasted CO2 meaning wasted $$.
Freezing gaskets might also make them stick. When the regulator is turned the turning force might damage the stuck gasket.

Hmmm.... I've never had such problems..... years.... really....
do you?

I think I'm just gonna cut down the platform to bere minimum (will gain about 1-1/4") and just set the secondaries loosely on top of the kegs

Back