Co2 Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefrayser

Reaction score
I built my keezer today and I have my first corny in it. My question is with the Co2. I know when I force cold carbonate I need 15-18 psi to start with. Do I keep the Co2 on or when it reaches the 15 psi I turn the tank off? I know dispensing pressure is 5 psi. I also know I need to pressurize to 15 psi and then shake it, then repressurize. Do that a couple times a day. Between do I cut the Co2 tank off?

This is not the correct procedure.

Use a chart or an online calculator to figure out the psi you need to set the regulator at for the temperature of your beer to get the correct carbonation. Then leave it there for 2-3 weeks. This should also be your serving pressure.

Alternatively you can set it to around 30 psi for 36 to 48 hours then take it back down to regular serving and carbing pressure. This will get it carbed faster.

You really don't want to shake it at a high psi because that will risk over carbonating it.

This is a great sticky that explains it pretty well: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

And here is a calculator for keg pressure if you don't like the charts: http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

If your beer lines are too short, then you may need to dispense at a lower pressure. But if you leave it at that pressure it will become undercarbed. The best thing to do is get long enough lines to be able to dispense at carbing pressure.

I was following the directions that was given to me. It said to get brew down to 38-40 and then 15 psi...Shake it several times per day and after 2 day bring it down to 5 for serving pressure. On a side note how important is a temp control on my keezer? I have my freezer at 1 and think it's still colder than the 38.

I was following the directions that was given to me. It said to get brew down to 38-40 and then 15 psi...Shake it several times per day and after 2 day bring it down to 5 for serving pressure. On a side note how important is a temp control on my keezer? I have my freezer at 1 and think it's still colder than the 38.

Don't do that- unless you like foamy sediment-ridden beer!

You want to take the temperature of your keezer, as that is important. You don't want the beer to be overcarbed or to freeze. 38 is ok, but better check before you use it as if it's colder on the bottom your beer will freeze and possibly damage your (expensive) kegs. Most people need a temperature controller to keep a freezer from, well, freezing.

Im going to get the temp controller today but for now I have the freezer set on 1. Dont know what the temp is but I would thing around 32-35. Whatever it is the keg is not frozen. I have been watching vids and reading articles and there is a bunch of ways people carbonate beer wether it be slow or forced. I am at work today and will not be home until tomorrow morning so I am having my wife stick with my original plan. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Yet... The keg is not frozen yet, is what you meant to say. Freezers are meant to freeze even on the "warmest" settings

Who instructed you to do it the way you describe?

That method could work, but I don't think it's the best method, with all due respect.

I typically carb at 12psi and I have 10ft long beer lines. I wouldn't mind my pour being a little faster but I generally get a good pour with the right amount of head.

A few things I would recommend...Well first, chest freezers do not have a setting that gets them above freezing. They just don't. Put a glass of water in the freezer at the bottom and check it in 24 hrs. I'll bet you it will be frozen. Beer can often get down around 29 or lower without freezing.

Mount a fan inside your keezer to circulate air. Preferably have it blow cold air onto your faucet shanks so that they stay cool. That helps especially for that first pour or any pour really if you're not pouring a new beer every 15 min or less :drunk: so that it isn't overly foamy. Otherwise what I have done is to short pour about 4oz and drink it then pour a full glass.

Keep your excess beer line nicely coiled. I think a rollercoaster ride causes extra foaming, especially if the line goes from the top to the bottom to the top again and you don't have a fan to keep the temps even.

I picked up a temp controller and its set at 36. My lines are 5' long. The beer did get a little slushy but I fixed that. I tried to pour a beer and it was really foamy....Im thinking due to the beer being slushy. Im going to let it set a couple hours and try again. I know this is trail and error somewhat. I will get it figured out.

I picked up a temp controller and its set at 36. My lines are 5' long. The beer did get a little slushy but I fixed that. I tried to pour a beer and it was really foamy....Im thinking due to the beer being slushy. Im going to let it set a couple hours and try again. I know this is trail and error somewhat. I will get it figured out.

To fix it, you will need longer lines- 10 to 12 feet of beer line would help. Also no shaking! Set the regulator at 10 psi and leave it alone. No turning it up higher, and then down lower, because that will cause CO2 to come out of suspension and give you a foamy pour.

36° is pretty cold- you may find it easier to pour a nice pint at 39-40 degrees

The foam is due to your beer lines being too short. Also, what diameter are the lines? You will do better with 3/16" lines rather than 1/4" and the general length you want is 10 - 12 feet unless it is a highly carbed style then closer to 20 feet is better.

Back