CO2 pressure in vs out of fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotter

Reaction score
These are questions about temperature/pressure differences more than anything else. My tank is outside the fridge, and set at 12PSI. My keg is inside the fridge (duh).

Things I believe to true:
  • The keg is also at 12 PSI, just a lot colder.
  • If I disconnected the CO2, took the keg out and let it warm up, the PSI would rise.
  • If I moved the tank into the fridge leaving the gauge at 12 PSI the tank would reduce in pressure, and more CO2 by volume would enter the keg, resulting in a higher carb'd beer than if the gauge is outside.

Assuming I got all that right (and I'm not too sure about the last point), when talking about carb levels and PSI it seems to matter where the gauge is. If my beer is best served at 12 PSI, where is the gauge supposed to be, inside or outside the fridge?

Thanks!

To expand on that...the pressure inside the tank will drop when you put it in fridge but the outlet pressure of the reg is whatever the low pressure gage reads (whether the gage is inside or out).

One thing to be aware of is that the reg outlet pressure will increase with decreasing inlet (tank) pressure. But that shouldn't become an issue until the tank gets low (as the tank pressure gets real low the outlet pressure will creep up).

To expand on that...the pressure inside the tank will drop when you put it in fridge but the outlet pressure of the reg is whatever the low pressure gage reads (whether the gage is inside or out).

One thing to be aware of is that the reg outlet pressure will increase with decreasing inlet (tank) pressure. But that shouldn't become an issue until the tank gets low (as the tank pressure gets real low the outlet pressure will creep up).

Thanks to everyone for their answers and especially the above explanation.

I think the advantage is to have it outside since then you have more co2 pressure in your cylinder because it is warm.

To expand on this, is there any advantage with having the tank inside the fridge?

Inside advantage: you don't have to run the gas lines through the fridge door/wall for dorm/uprights. Less of an issue for a kreezer with a collar.

Outside advantage: More room for kegs. I've read the tanks are less likely to leak outside the fridge. Lots of folks seem to do just fine with tanks in the fridge, so I don't know how true that is.

I think the advantage is to have it outside since then you have more co2 pressure in your cylinder because it is warm.

This isn't an advantage or a disadvantage IMO - as long as you can maintain the low side of the regulator it doesn't make a difference. Even inside the refrigerator there is 500+ PSI in the cylinder and we're only using 8-12 PSI on the low side typically.

I keep mine inside the keezer on the hump, mostly because I haven't built a collar yet and there's no room on the hump for a keg anyway. The only advantage I can see to having it outside is that I'd have room for an extra six-pack where the cylinder is.

Back