CO2 +N2 gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeymanVT

Reaction score
I have been given a 100lb tank of 25% carbon dioxide 75% nitrogen. I am hoping to use this as a way to "carbonate" my kegs of homebrew. I realize that the nitrogen will produce micro bubbles which is fine with me. Do you think I will be able to use this mixture of gases?

Usually you need a special regulator for a beer gas tank. I called my local gas supplier not too long ago to inquire about getting a Guinness setup going. I was informed that you need a high pressure regulator. (3000PSI)...they run about $50. I don't think a standard CO2 regulator won't work.

Thanks for all the info. I just ordered a high pressure regulator and will starting gassing the latest brew in a few weeks. Hope to make a Boddington's clone.

The nitrogen won't hurt the beer, the air we breath is 3/4 Nitrogen anyways and it is an inert gas.
The mixture of gases should be fine but you may have to put your beer under a higher pressure to dissolve an adequate amount of CO2. Or maybe just under normal carbonation pressure for a longer period of time? I am not 100% sure on this but you can surely experiment by tasting your beer over time and noting if it is carbonated or flat.

I recently got a beer gas tank filled and a nitrogen regulator. I have the stout faucet as well. What i am needing to know is the beer needs to be carbonated at 1.2 volumes of co2 before going on beer gas at 30 psi. I checked a carbonating chart and it said to use 3 psi. of co2 but my cornelius keg needs to be 10 psi. or higher to keep an alright seal. i understand that un pressurized fermented beer is around 1:2 volumes of co2. Is there a method im missing? Can i just skip the co2 and just hook up with 30 psi on the beer gas. Any help welcomed. sorry too hijack thisthread

Latest posts

Back