CO2-Ice Maker Outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki-ri-n

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, with all the EVAbarrier tubing posts, I decided to upgrade all the tubing (beer/gas) to EVAbarrier. Now that everything is EVAbarrier, that made handling the lines in my Kegerator SO much easier.

I decided to go one step further and move my CO2 tank out of the way and relocate it to the other side of the wall, or to my brewery closet. My kegerator is at the "head" of my basement stairs. My brew closet is just off the "foot" of my basement stairs. To do this, I decided to convert an Ice Maker Outlet box, to a CO2 Outlet box.

I used an Oatey® I2K® Ice Maker Outlet Box- with 1/2" Sweat connection. I only used the plastic "box" and ditched everything else. Kind of waste to spend $20 for a plastic box, but this hobby isn't necessarily cheap anyways.
Removed the plubing portion of the box and replaced it with a NPT Male, 1/2" Ball Lock Gas (from Bobby), two 3/4" SS washers-drilled out to 1" and one cut to a "D" shape (to allow the outer cover ring to sit in the detents) and a 1/2 NPT to 1/2 copper sweat adapter.
CO2-Parts.jpg

Samich the two washers ("D" shaped washer on top) on each side of the box. Then thread the NPT/CO2 adapter (from bobby) w/ teflon tape through the "D" washer, box, next washer and into the 1/2 NPT/1/2 sweat adapter. When soldering in the next pieces you need to get to the next point, remove everything from the box that you can. Otherwise the heat my melt the box. You need to stub it out some to avoid this. For me, I had to jog it slightly to stay in the middle of the stud.
CO2-OutletFront.jpg
CO2-OutletSide.jpg

Once it's stubbed out, finish connecting your line to an "exit" point. This will be a drop leg connection which is a 1/2" sweat to 1/2" NPT adapter with a "foot" on it that can be secured to something. You can either add another adapter from bobby (so the line is mostly "sealed" when removing or reconnecting a CO2 source), or a 1/2" to 1/4" Fare, to connect it to a push-to-connect fitting to continue the run without using 1/2" copper pipe (it's at the upper left below, which is the wall directly behind my kegerator). I was lucky that the backside of the wall is exposed-for now).
BehindKegerator.jpg

Front side of the wall where my kegerator sits now has this:
CO2-InWall.jpg

It helps to tidyup the "face" of my taps and couldn't be happier.
Thought I'd share in case someone else wanted to do the same-cheers!

Latest posts

Back