Co2 Hiss (beginner question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
I just kegged it a raspberry blonde and put a layer of co2 on it and I am chilling it now before carbing. All of my connections are tight on my co2 tank, but I can still hear it when I turn on the tank. Is this normal? I don't wanna carb it and lose my whole tank. Everything seems fine when spraying with star san but the noise is making me paranoid. I uploaded a little video of it. If I turn the tank on when its not connected to the keg, I hear nothing. So I'm assuming the sound i'm hearing is just from the co2 trying to get into the beer? Sorry if it's a dumb question, kegging noob who knows nothing about co2 :fro:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DI2yth9Hpw[/ame]

I get a hiss whenever a noticeable amount of CO2 enters the keg from the tank. Like if I adjust the pressure by increasing it, CO2 rushes in to compensate. Also, if I vent the keg through the relief valve, there's a long hissing as the keg fills back up. I'm guessing that's what you are hearing. The beer is slowly absorbing CO2 so CO2 is slowly being replaced from the tank

I get a hiss whenever a noticeable amount of CO2 enters the keg from the tank. Like if I adjust the pressure by increasing it, CO2 rushes in to compensate. Also, if I vent the keg through the relief valve, there's a long hissing as the keg fills back up. I'm guessing that's what you are hearing. The beer is slowly absorbing CO2 so CO2 is slowly being replaced from the tank

That's kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for your input!

Back again. Took my beer off of 30 psi to try to bring it down to seving pressure, but no matter how much I turn the screw counter clockwise I can't get the psi to come back down low enough to serving pressure? Any tips or anything I'm doing wrong?

You will have to vent the keg. The gauge on the regulator is showing the pressure after the regulator. The pressure in your keg is what is keeping the gauge up. Vent the keg and you will watch the gauge drop.

If you don't have a check-valve (anti-backflow) in the gas line between regulator and keg - and the regulator doesn't have an automatic pressure release (eg: Taprite primary) the low pressure gauge will reflect the pressure in the keg. You need to release the pressure to allow the gauge to drop...

Cheers!

You will have to vent the keg. The gauge on the regulator is showing the pressure after the regulator. The pressure in your keg is what is keeping the gauge up. Vent the keg and you will watch the gauge drop.

Duh. Too early for me. I've been stressing out all night over this stupid keg hoping that it turns out. Thanks haha.

Back again. Took my beer off of 30 psi to try to bring it down to seving pressure, but no matter how much I turn the screw counter clockwise I can't get the psi to come back down low enough to serving pressure? Any tips or anything I'm doing wrong?

Remove the co2 line from the keg. Purge the co2, set the co2 to serving pressure then reconnect. How did you carb the beer in the keg? If you use the 30 psi shake method it's hard to get the carbonation just right. If you over carbonated the beer you may have to purge multi times with the co2 disconnected as the pressure builds up to take some excess co2 out of solution.

Remove the co2 line from the keg. Purge the co2, set the co2 to serving pressure then reconnect. How did you carb the beer in the keg? If you use the 30 psi shake method it's hard to get the carbonation just right. If you over carbonated the beer you may have to purge multi times with the co2 disconnected as the pressure builds up to take some excess co2 out of solution.

Just set it 30 psi and left it. So just disconnect my gas, give it a go on the pressure relieve valve a few times and I should be able to set it to serving pressure and hook it back up?

Back