CO2 gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks suspiciously like one of these (available at a number of homebrew supply shops):

micro_hb_cartridge.jpg

I have been using this handy gadget for unloading my muzzleloaders to shoot carboys and kegs full of CO2 and hopefully pushing out the oxygen. [/url]

Just add humidity then you have carbonic acid eating away inside your prize muzzleloaders. Argon or Nitrogen would be my first choice of inert displacement gases.

Carbonic acid would be an issue, however as a good gun owner I often clean my rifles.

You bet being in Florida steel grows rust overnight.
My old Redhawk a retired pig gun has gone diving in the ocean many times with me, wash and lube no worries, springs I changed out to Mil Spec SS units, sights removed, Pachmayr grips.

I have been using this handy gadget for unloading my muzzleloaders to shoot carboys and kegs full of CO2 and hopefully pushing out the oxygen. Is this a waste of time, or a habit worth keeping?
Here's the sweet gadget
http://www.eders.com/product.php?productid=166941

i think it's definitely worth your time. i've been thinking about getting something like this for the same purpose (minus the gun stuff). some may say it's being too anal, but whatever, if you like how your beers turn out, then keep on keepin on.

Why are you flushing CO2 into carboys? Oxygenating wort is prudent for good fermentation. I flush my Cornies prior to racking beer into them and force carbonating it. That takes a CO2 tank. If you are naturally carbonating in kegs, I would think the yeast would utilize any oxygen left in the keg. That would be brief aerobic metabolism before they revert to anaerobic fermentation. Essentially, a little of your priming sugar becomes water and CO2, so you lose a little of what would have become alcohol, but the oxygen is consumed in the process. You could compensate with a little more priming sugar if the alcohol content matters that much to you.

Does Florida allow smokeless muzzleloaders? One of these would let you just burn the round without having to go through the major cleaning hassle of firing black powder, or blowing CO2 cartridges. A conversion of an H&R 45/70 is my next project. Plans are much like this one (this one is not mine, nor do I know these guys personally):

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=smokeless&action=display&thread=8040

Good discussion but I kind of lose it when you start talking about shooting gun's underwater and Florida laws.

Yea Florida does allow for smokeless but I'm not a fan of them. Flintlocks are sexy enough to be worth all the extra work.

On the CO2 discussion, I was informed that oxygenating is best done before primary fermentation then later avoided.

Latest posts

Back