Co2 blanket for racking/headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuffalupagus

Reaction score
Sooooooo...
If Co2 is more heavy than air - could you not add a C02 blanket to your Racking bucket, and rack off your carboy into it in a non oxygenated environment? (like using a shield gas for welding?)

also if you were to have a spare tank of Co2 hanging around (which i do... I play paintball) could you not add a Co2 blanket to the head space in your carboys when bulk aging? and the head space in bottled product?

thoughts?

In a word, yes. I have heard of several people that add CO2 to the headspace of their secondary carboys. It works just as you'd expect, pretty well.

Yes you can. I've done it using dry ice, warm water, a plastic sports bottle & some plastic tubing. Regards, GF.

thanks for the advice - when I rack my next potent potable - I'll be blasting some CO2 in there using my 20 ounce paintball tank and remote line - I'll let you guys know how it works - and give pricing on the equipment I use. (paintball tanks are pretty cheap)

Well I put my Bluebery Apple Monster Into secondary -

using one of these: HOT DEAL! 20 oz Catalina CO2 Tank - gen-20oz-cat (which can be purchased and filled at any sporting goods store where paintball supplies are sold. a fill for a 20 oz tank is about 5 dollars)
and one of these: Extreme Rage HPA Coil Remote - Quick Disconnect - er-remote-qd

first I added an additional 4 pounds of berries, then I purged the carboy of air and left the internal space filled with a full Co2 Atmosphere -then carefully racked the liquid over from primary. when i was done - I topped up with 3 quarts of blueberry juice and again -purged the bit of headspace with Co2 from the paintball tank, re installed a bung and airlock -and will leave the secondary to it's own devices for a while.
for about 50 dollars - it seems that one can buy a mess and trouble free way to put a blanket of Co2 on a beverage to reduce oxidation. no need to mess with dry ice, warm water and plastic bottles. just screw the remote onto the tank, open the valve a little (too much and it'll blast frozen snow everywhere) purge your bottle and go for it. 20oz of liquid Co2 in the tank will go a LONG way - likely be able to fill a dozen 5-6 gallon bottles with pure Co2 before needing a refill. just a thought.

I am going to do about 100 gal of blackberry wine. Last year it took forever to rack backsweeten etc. So I bought a wine pump. I plan to pump the wine into two 30 gal trash cans clean the carboys and then refill them right away. Do I have to worry about headspace or should I buy a bottle of CO2??

Thanks

I dont know about headspace and wine but I do know that you wouldn't want to use CO2 either way. Since CO2 is soluble it can be absorbed into your wine and carbonate. I hear nitrogen is your best bet, thats what they use for wine savers.

Back