CO2 and beer overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gosabrez

Reaction score
I am going to try and explain the best I can, and lay out what I have already done.

I'll start with: I haven't had the problem before on the 2 other beer I made and kegged.

During a time of beer not being ready, I went to a local brewery who fills kegs and got 5 gal of their finest. Brought it home, purged the keg, hooked it up, set it at about 5psi. (Also to note, I am still using a picnic tap).

I bit later after I wanted it to settle down from transport, I went to pour a glass and the psi on my gauge was at 25. I dialed it back, purged a bit, reset to around 5 psi. This happened twice on me. What also happened is beer came out of the picnic tap and into my keezer.

I then decided to leave the co2 disconnected from the keg, dial the gauge all the way off, as well as turn off the co2. During this time the gauge will creep up from 0 to 10psi with no co2 moving through it.

At this point I'm not really sure what to do. I don't want leaky beer in my freezer and I don't really think I should have to turn the co2 off and back on and disconnect and reconnect every time I have a drink.

Between my first batch and second batch in this keg, when cleaning I did not remove the posts and poppets. However I removed the posts and poppets before I had this one filled (just as a side note if it matters)

I suspect the beer is highly carbonated and your storage temperature is higher than the source's. As the keg warms up a bit, CO2 is coming out of solution raising the pressure. Try tapping a few without the CO2 being attached. When the flow slows down and/or the carbonation level drops, you can attach the CO2 again.

Latest posts

Back