Cloudy Peach Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flexmedia

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I made my peach mead, again like I do every year for the past three years. It’s the only wine/mead I have made. This time it’s me out cloudy. The first time no clouds. The second time cloudy and I back sweetened it with a little cane sugar and campden tablet and potassium Sorbate. And it cleared up. This time I did the same thing but it’s still cloudy. It’s a one gallon recipe. I heat 1 quart of honey from my hives and 1 quart of spring water, pitch my yeast to a jug of both and add water for a gallon. 30 days I rack into a pail with peaches. 30 days I rack into a jug. 30 days I rack again. The yeast is usually done by now so I back sweeten with cane sugar cuz it’s usually not sweet enough for the wife. But I crush one campden tablet in a little spring water with the potassium. 30 days later time to rack but now it’s cloudy still. AND it had floaty things. So I racked it into another jug through a coffee filter and added 3 drops of milk (somebody told me to do that. What could 3 drops hurt?) I didn’t see any particles in the filter but it’s still cloudy. Should I just wait or what should I do? I’ll try to add a pic of last year’s bottle and this.
Thanks for the help!
C66E74F8-2B05-4706-8231-012FA3833727.jpeg

Isinglass, two days later chitosan not needed in that order, but a couple days in between is a good idea. As far as the amounts to use follow package directions.

Traditional meada (no fruit) can be fairly forgiving as far as oxidation, but fruit are not. Using a coffee filter is something to be avoided, high chance of oxidation and making vinegar. Pectins could of released a bit and caused the cloudiness, so some pectic enzyme could help but Its not as effective at the end. Otherwise, just give it time. hazy mead isn’t a problem, as long as there’s no more lees setteling on the bottom, the flavor shouldn’t be affected.

Traditional meada (no fruit) can be fairly forgiving as far as oxidation, but fruit are not. Using a coffee filter is something to be avoided, high chance of oxidation and making vinegar. Pectins could of released a bit and caused the cloudiness, so some pectic enzyme could help but Its not as effective at the end. Otherwise, just give it time. hazy mead isn’t a problem, as long as there’s no more lees setteling on the bottom, the flavor shouldn’t be affected.

how long should I give it to clear before I bottle?

thanks
Art

Isinglass, two days later chitosan not needed in that order, but a couple days in between is a good idea. As far as the amounts to use follow package directions.
Good tip..maybe next time. I should order it now since it may take until next time before it gets here

Thanks
Art

It still has little particles in it even after it went through the coffee filter but there were no particles in the filter. Think the campden tablet is still working? It’s been over 30 days and it’s still cloudy. I started the one gallon batch November 25, 2019. OR should I just rack next month to bottles?

thanks
Art

Back