Cloudy pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianherbert1

Reaction score
So I bottled a pale ale 8 weeks ago. thought I would try one tonight and as I poured it I saw it cloudy.
Tastes good. Done the same recipe before without and probs.
What has gone wrong?

Did you add clouds to this one?

Haha, anyway, gotta give us more info. Maybe racking wasnt as clean, or trub got in the bottling bucket? Nothing wrong with cloudy beer either.

Maybe a low flocculation yeast,or wheat malt in the recipe? I've had the crush do some serious chill haze to my beers I'm trying to clear up.

The only thing I changed this time was I had to u pellets instead of proper flowers. Never used pellets before. Thought maybe they did it.

The only thing I changed this time was I had to u pellets instead of proper flowers. Never used pellets before. Thought maybe they did it.

No, the hops don't cause cloudiness in the finished beer. Some things do, though- like having "chill haze" which is when a clear beer at room temperature is chilled. It will get hazy when it's cold. That's usually a mis-step in the brewing technique, and can be fixed by storing the bottles cold for a week or two before drinking.

Sometimes using wheat in a beer will cause cloudiness also.

There are other causes and issues- not getting a hot break in an allgrain batch, for example, but usually we can get to the bottom of the problem if you want to give us some more details about the brewing process you followed.

Insidently,I followed your advice on the strength of boil hot break bit on my Maori IPA. In about another week & a half,we'll see how that works out. I'll be needin your addy yooper,to send you that couple bottles I mentioned before...

Insidently,I followed your advice on the strength of boil hot break bit on my Maori IPA. In about another week & a half,we'll see how that works out. I'll be needin your addy yooper,to send you that couple bottles I mentioned before...

That sounds great!!!!!! I'll be thrilled to sample them. I'll PM you my address right away.

Back