cloudy carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmelms

Reaction score
I got an older carboy from a friend that was real dirty. So i cleaned it with oxy clean, and it hazed up the glass really bad on the inside. I have never had this happen with my other carboys, is it ruined? Why would it do this?

If you used warm/hot water, it could be humidity inside doing it. Did you scrub with a carboy brush, sanitize, rinse with cold water, and let drain upside down?

Fill it up with some vinager and water, maybe a 1 to 10 part ratio. That will remove it if it calcium build up.

It's probably oxyclean "scale"- a reaction to minerals in the water. Happens on bottles all the time, a soaking in a weak acid/water solution, like starsan and water, lemon juice and water, vinegar and water, or clr will clear it up.

Yes, i did scrub it then rinsed with cool water. I have not sanitized it yet. I will try the water and vinegar. Thanks

Latest posts

Back