Cloudy beer gravity drop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all quick question , I made a cream ale and my OG was 1.050 . I racked it into my secondary today and checked the grav and see its at 1.020 . My question is will this gravity change because the beer is still cloudy? I plan on using the gelatine method while cold crashing it. Would the cloudy particles in it affect the grav reading ? Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks!

I would think it'd need to be very cloudy to affect gravity. As in OMG that's cloudy kinda cloudy.

the gravity will change if there is still viable yeast and sugars in the beer. Cloudiness alone is no indicator of the beers ability to continue to ferment.
You may still get some fermentation. Let it rest in secondary for a week and check it again.

Was this an all grain or an extract recipe? US-05 should take an extract recipe down to about 1.011 with enough time in the primary at the right temperature. With all grain a very high mash temperature will create unfermentable sugars resulting in a high FG.

Racking to a secondary vessel too soon will slow the fermentation if FG had not been reached in the primary for both an extract or all grain recipe.

Now way in hell should US-05 be done at only 60% apparent attenuation. Looks like you put it into secondary too early. In general unless you're making something that specifically needs it or REALLY care about clarity it's more trouble than it's worth to use a secondary.

Now way in hell should US-05 be done at only 60% apparent attenuation. Looks like you put it into secondary too early.

+1 to this. My cream ales with us-05 finish at about 1.007 or so, definitely under 1.010 which is a 80-85% apparent attenuation. This all happens in well under 1 week so long as the right amount of healthy yeast is pitched.

If a beer is having a slow or difficult fermentation then the last thing you want to be doing is taking it off the yeast.

Cream ales should finish dry, so I suspect you may have mashed too high or not pitched enough yeast. Either way, I wouldn't be in a hurry to bottle/keg this one, give it a bit more time at warmish temps and see if it can drop a few more points.

Thanks for the info guys. I will let it sit in the secondary for a while . It tastes like a good beer just want to see that grav drop a bit more. 😆

Back