Cloudy beer after moving to Single Tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
Last summer I built a single tier brewstand and I got 3 batches under my belt before the winter (if you can call it that, i don't think we have but a couple of days with lows in the 30s) and a kitchen remodel removed any time I might have had to brew. During that time I brewed and ESB and a Rye IPA that both turned out cloudy even after conditioning and carbonation at 40 for more than a month. I thought the reason for their cloudiness was that I had accidentally (as if I'd do it on purpose) boiled my mash. My third batch was a Stout that I didn't boil my mash. I couldn't see but I assumed that it wasn't cloudy. Fast forward to last weekend and I'm brewing again and I avoid boiling my mash. It's only been in the fermenter for two weeks but it is exhibiting the same cloudiness that the previous beers had. I'm going to try gelatin and a cold crash this time but I wonder what is causing this. It looks like grain is making it through. It's affecting the body of the beer and having to reassure people that it's safe to drink is exhausting. Any ideas? I've attached a quick shot with my phone after I pulled a sample for gravity testing. Notice that this is a tiny sample and still nearly opaque.

Yeah, I've got a Chugger pump and I recirculate for probably 5 or 10 minutes. The wort gets clearer but it's pretty hard to tell if its completely clear. That 5 to 10 minute recirc is probably 2 or so gallons.

I really doubt the amount of tiers you have will affect the cloudiness of the beer.

Are you using fining agents in the boil, like irish moss or other?

I've never boiled my mash, I can't comment on what effects that has, and I've done plenty of beers where I've had stuck sparges, and spun the grain bed with my stirrer and didn't bother to recirculate, I doubt thats an issue. If you need proof, think about BIAB brewers.... you know some of the particulate is staying in their kettle the entire time.

First two batches had a tablet of whirlfloc. Actually forgot it in the last batch. No difference. I don't think it's directly related to the number of tiers in my setup but I just don't know where to begin looking.

Back