Closet Air Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnman1971

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice as to how I can cool down a small closet (Bi-fold doors) to bring the air temperature to about 67 F? My home is currently set to 76 F but I keep seeing good fermentation results at mid 60's F. Thanks!

I'd like to be able to keep my "wine cellar" closet cooled somehow with a small ac unit too, so am very interested in suggestions, ideas and recommendations.

You'd have to have a way to vent the ac unit or it will just make it hotter. If you are dead set on an ac unit you could get a portable ac unit and run the vent hose through the wall if the closet is on an external wall.

You'd have to have a way to vent the ac unit or it will just make it hotter. If you are dead set on an ac unit you could get a portable ac unit and run the vent hose through the wall if the closet is on an external wall.

This is what I am looking at. I have a small storage room in my basement (which gets warm in the summer) that I want to convert to a wine cellar. I will do some insulating.

The only other options that I see are one of the ductless a/c's or a wine cellar cooling unit. Big $$

Your bi-fold doors will not be too good at keeping the cool inside.

This is what I am looking at. I have a small storage room in my basement (which gets warm in the summer) that I want to convert to a wine cellar. I will do some insulating.

The only other options that I see are one of the ductless a/c's or a wine cellar cooling unit. Big $$

Your bi-fold doors will not be too good at keeping the cool inside.

The bifold door issue could be fixed with some 6m plastic sheet affixed to the inside of the door. Not the best method but for maintaining high 60s is fine.

You could insulate the doors and have a large duct added to your current system and run to the closet. This will likely cost >$200 if you have an A/C company install it.

You could also have installed a ductless A/C system, but this will be costly, and would be overkill for a closet, but not a wine cellar/room.

Using a swamp cooler in a closed environment won't work. Air can only hold so much moisture at a given temperature, and then you basically have a sauna. For the same reason windows/doors are left open when a whole house swamp cooler is being used.

Using a swamp cooler in a closed environment won't work. Air can only hold so much moisture at a given temperature, and then you basically have a sauna. For the same reason windows/doors are left open when a whole house swamp cooler is being used.

However it can work if you have an exhaust fan in somehow but if you are looking to use the closet as a cellar the work of frequently changing the water and adding ice , running an exhaust fan would make this a PITA. At that point just put in an exhaust port and use it to attach the hose from a portable ac. That way you just set it and forget it.

In the end I just wound up placing my beer in a Mr.Beer keg and put 2 1 Liter bottles of frozen water in with it and it holds 67 F or so very well. For larger batches I will just resort to buying the keg cooler system.

Back