Closed transfer from SS Brewtech BME Chronical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip_h

Reaction score
I posted this in the kegging section, but maybe it'll get more traction over here.

Hey all - I'm trying to figure out what I need to buy to do closed pressurized transfers from my new BME Chronical fermenter to a keg. I don't have any TC fittings other than what was included with the Chronical.

I'm thinking that I'll need a couple of tc fittings to convert from CO2-size (1/4"?) to the 1/2" input on top of the fermenter, and I need a beer line-sized tc fitting (3/8"?) to run into the keg. Does that sound right?

This video doesn't really address my specific concerns. For one thing, my conical has a 3" TC, and I've never seen a 3" with a 1/4 npt. Also, my fitting has a built in pressure relief valve, so I don't need that little low pressure gauge.

I have the same capability in my Brewha 3-1 system that I never use. Seems like a lot of extra effort for little gain. Keep in mind also that you need to fill the keg on a scale to determine how much beer volume has been transferred. I mean it's cool and everything, but I guess I'm too lazy to deal with it.

This video doesn't really address my specific concerns. For one thing, my conical has a 3" TC, and I've never seen a 3" with a 1/4 npt. Also, my fitting has a built in pressure relief valve, so I don't need that little low pressure gauge.

You would do as the video shows. You just also need to buy the 3" to 1.5" reducer so it fits. I built mine with a standard gas post on the stainless tee using something like this (http://www.homebrewing.org/Plug-Adapter-14-MPT-x-1932_p_4640.html). That's a better solution than putting the gas line directly into the tee.

Alternatively, they sell their own solution (http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collectio...pressurized-transfer-fitting?lshst=collection). You still need the reducer. I am not a fan of the design, but it will likely be cheaper than putting together the other parts.

Those were not available when I built mine (at least the gas one wasn't). The only hesitation I have is that it doesn't have a pressure gauge. I like to know what my pressure is (i.e. dangerously high) and also if it is not holding pressure somehow.

Yeah, you would definitely need a low pressure gauge connected to your gas line if you wanted to use that ball lock connector since there isn't a PRV.

Back