Closed CO2 transfer from Chronical to half barrel through sanke coupler.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmubronco

Reaction score
So attempted my first pressurized transfer last night into a half barrel (previously have always used corny kegs with transfer line in the open lid).

I know the easiest solution to fill a sanke keg would be to just remove the stem and do the above method with transfer tube in the opening. Well let's get to the "closed" part.

I had CO2 line to top of Chronical, then transfer tube from Chronical ball valve connected to the "gas in" of the sanke coupler. I had another "air out" line connected to the "beer out" line of the coupler which fed into a star-san solution bucket. All seemed well when I started the transfer, however after a few minutes I noticed beer coming out of the "beer out" port on the sanke coupler and filling up my star-san solution... NOOOO!!!!!

I quickly stopped the process, tried switching ports on the coupler, but then realized the ball/check valve in the "beer out" port. I did not want to attempt to take that out fear of breaking it.... and I was a bit stressed at the point, so I threw in the towel and did the old remove stem and put transfer tube directly into the sanke keg.... NOT CLOSED SYSTEM transfer anymore!

A few pointers would be appreciated. I do have a few extra sanke coupler laying around, but they need a swift cleaning. Guessing (from what I have read), I can use one of those with all ball/check valves removed and perform a "closed system transfer?" Was my original connections correct? Beer transfer line into the "gas in" port, and line out on "beer out" going into star-san solution?

Appreciate the read and feedback, thanks!

Patrick

You will need to remove the check valves from the sanke coupler. This will allow beer to flow into the keg.

I got tired of removing and replacing it so I bought a cheap coupler, removed it, and just keep it on standby for this purpose

This picture might help...
KG87296-4.jpg

I missed one other part of your post. After you remove both check valves, it would be beer out of fermenter into the beer side of the coupler and your gas line into your bucket of starsan.

Hope that makes sense.

Clear and concise. Had a feeling that was my problem. I will do that same and keep one coupler as my "transfer coupler."

Thanks again for the reply, cheers and happy holidays!

Back