Cloning a parti gyle brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thx997303

Reaction score
I brewed a RIS, and it turned out great. I did a Parti-gyle brew from the grains of the RIS, and threw in some random hops, and got an amazing porter.

Problem is, I don't see me needing to brew much RIS, but I really want to have more of this porter on hand.

How would I go about cloning a parti gyle brew?

Ha! I did the same thing but got a mild out as my second runnings. It's great and I'd like to brew it again too.

I was able to approximate the gravity and color in BeerSmith2 by roughly quartering all of my original grains for the RIS. Note I made what was an 8 gallons in the fermenter RIS and a 5.75 gallons in the fermenter Mild. Not sure this would duplicate the taste though.

haha! I also thought about doing the same thing. i recently killed the small beer of a RIS. it's a fantastic beer.

I cut the grain bill in half and it should get the same color and gravity with my system, BUT, I wonder if the amount of sugars available in each of the malts will be similar.

Makes me wonder if each malt may experience different efficiencies, leading to less sugars from some, and more from others.

That is what I can't really account for, and would like to know if there is a way to do so.

It might be interesting to repeat your process. Take the 2nd runnings (your porter) and continue the hopping and boil as you did before. Take the 1st runnings (RIS) and dilute until the pre-boil gravity is the same as the 2nd runnings and continue the same. Now you'll have two beers to compare any differences!

Interesting idea there 14thstreet.

Of course that will likely end up being close o15 gallons total, and with my current equipment, that means three boils.

Decisions decisions.

Since two thirds of the gravity is in the first runnings I'd cut the original recipe accordingly and tweak from there.

Did you take gravity readings on the porter you made? Preboil? What was the malt bill of the RIS? I bet if you have enough data, either yourself or members on the forum could replicate the recipe. Is just trial and error at this point. I hope you took some tasting notes on the Porter!

Saving this from the graveyard again.

I'm going to need to figure out my approximate pre boil gravity then clone accordingly I think.

Well the grain bill was from this recipe.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/russian-imperial-stout-2011-hbt-competition-category-winner-238807/

And I got 4 gallons of porter at 1.053 of post boil. Didn't note pre boil gravity.

The easy part is the hops. I just threw in a half ounce each of hallertau, ekg, and fuggles at 60 minutes because they happened to be lying around.

This grain bill is the original RIS then adjusted to your OG with all malts in proportion. OG is 1.053. 5.25 gallon batch. Color is 55 SRM so maybe back off the darker malts to about 25 SRM.

9 LB 10 OZ Pale Malt (2 Row) UK
13 OZ Roasted Barley
9 OZ Special B Malt Grain
7 OZ Chocolate Malt Grain
4 OZ Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain

Double HA! That's the recipe I used for my RIS too. I got in over my head though and tried to cram almost 32 pounds of grain into my 12 gallon cooler. It fit but my efficiency was abysmal. This means my IBU's were all wrong etc, etc, etc, but it's still going to be great after a few month bulk aging!

Anyhow, I think the suggestion above is a good place to start. It'll make a good beer and it it doesn't match exactly you can drink what you get while you reformulate the recipe for the next try!

Back