Clone Brews: Piraat Ale IPA - 5-6 weeks and still fermenting??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyMountainHops

Reaction score
Is this possible? I made the mini mash version of the recipe. My LHBS didnt have the exact yeast it asked for so I substituted 3724 Bel Saison. The FG is supposed to be 1.020-1.024. After about 3 weeks of fermentation I was stuck at 1.060. The guy at my LHBS suggested I add champagne yeast, so I added EC-1118 Saccgaromyces Bayanus. It seemed to do the trick as it is still creating pretty regular bubbles in the airlock today, and I added it about 2-3 weeks ago. Is this possible that it is STILL fermenting? This is the first BIG beer I've made...do I need to continue to be patient?

Thanks in advance.

Everyone here is going to tell you to take 3 gravity readings on 3 consecutive days to be sure that fermentation is complete. I usually am lazy and just go by when it stops bubbling. By adding the turbo yeast you are definately going to ferment out to a pretty low FG...i would guess that it will be well lower than your target gravity, but hey, that would work for me. Sounds like it will have to condition for a while to even out the flavor a bit, but I bet it would be good.
Jefe

Thanks. I have been reading on here a bit since posting this, and although there isnt anything based on what I asked specifically, it looks like most everyone that creates this recipe lets it sit in the fermenter for 6 months to a year in some cases.

Back