Clogged Keg Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHairyHop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

The tea ball that was dry hopping my keg with about 1.5 oz of hops opened up. Probably my fault, but it's a new design (with a locking lid, not a latch) and I think it might have just pulled apart. My options, as far as I know, are to either transfer to another keg or two attach a scrubby to the end of the dip stick.

My question is, what is the lesser of two evils here? Transferring always risks contamination and oxidation, while 1.5 oz is a heck of a lot to not clog up the scrubby. I've never done the scrubby technique so I could be wrong. What would you guys do?

Never had to deal with anything like that (yet!) but after reading a recent post by someone who put what they thought was a true stainless steel scrubby under the dip tube of a similarly afflicted keg and ending up with metallic beer, I would go the other way and rack off the beer...

Cheers!

Yea, if I did the scrubby I would go for a plastic one or boil the SS to get rid of any coatings. After all, the keg itself is SS. Thanks for the tip. Any other personal experiences would be great to hear!

Back