• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ohio Cleveland, 90+ Corny kegs! $30-35/ea!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdexterc

Reaction score
I stumbled across the mother of all corny keg deposits. This person has nearly 100 kegs for sale for a decent price. If you're in the Cleveland/Akron area, I'd check it out! Disclaimer: I do not know the seller, nor have I contacted them. I stumbled upon this listing on craigslist so I figured I'd help spread the word. If I didn't already have more than I need I'd have been there already!

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/4092154761.html

00c0c_5ek0rkHumDx_600x450.jpg

Awesome. Too bad I'm not prepared to really pull the trigger and start kegging.

Thanks! I'm 15 minutes from there! Sent an email, hopefully I can pick some up this weekend.

Awesome. Too bad I'm not prepared to really pull the trigger and start kegging.

A bit of advice, if you think you will ever keg and you can spare the cash I would pick up 2 more than you think you will ever need. I've been keeping my eye on keg prices for some time, and this is a steal!

I sent an email asking if they would consider shipping. If they say no, anyone feel like helping me out and shipping? This is a great deal.

Stupid question but what would I need to buy besides the kegs to make this work.

Obviously a CO2 tank and a regulator. I guess what I'm asking is what is a bare bones setup consist of.

Thinking about maybe picking up one or two now and then getting the rest of the equipment later.

bfgcdub said:
Stupid question but what would I need to buy besides the kegs to make this work.

Obviously a CO2 tank and a regulator. I guess what I'm asking is what is a bare bones setup consist of.

Thinking about maybe picking up one or two now and then getting the rest of the equipment later.

Besides the c02 and regulator, you need disconnects, tubing for the beer to flow through, a tap, and tubing for e co2 to flow through. They looked like ball lock from the pics, I like the disconnects with the mfl threads instead of the barbs. If you get the threaded versions then you need to get the swivel nut to barb connections. I also recommend some clamps to make sure you don't have a leak where the tube meets the barb. Finally, you need a way to keep the keg cold.

You'll need a tank and regulator like you mentioned, and obviously a way to keep the keg cold as well. You could do either a full fridge, a mini fridge, a manufactured kegerator, or a chest cooler with a temp control (a keezer). Those 3 items plus the kegs will be the bulk of your costs.

Next, for any of the setups you choose, you'll need some beer and air tubing, some clamps, a set of new o-rings, some keg lube, and a set of in and out ball lock connectors (or pin lock depending on keg style). It sounds like a lot but all together these items should be about 30 bucks or so.

Depending on your method of storage then you may also need a few more things. If you are using a pre-manufactured kegerator then you are already good to go. Otherwise you'll need a draught tower with a tap for a home made kegerator (60 bucks or so on eBay?) , or a tap meant to attach to a flat surface through a drilled hole for a refrigerator or keezer (maybe 30 bucks?) .

BUT... If we're talking super bare bones, all you REALLY need is a keg, a tank and regular, some place to keep it cold, all the same small items, and a picnic tap (like you see on kegs at frat parties). It all depends on how much you want to customize your setup. If cost is a concern, I'd watch Craigslist for things like used kegerators. I see them in the area all the time for 150-200 bucks. I wouldn't buy the expensive bits at your LHBS because they jack up the price on stuff like that. EBay and Craigslist can be your best friend! Good luck.

What everyone else said is spot on. Before I had a fridge dedicated to my kegs, I would just keg in the winter and leave them in my garage. Mine stays between 35 and 40 degrees typically, and it worked out pretty well for a couple years.

Someone mentioned craigslist, there are fridges on there for cheap money. I found one at a garage sale and paid $40 for it. I have since traded that for a keggle, and picked up a CL
fridge for $70. Its a 1946 GE fridge, I'm now in the process of restoration.

Good luck!

I see that the ad is no longer on CL. Did someone here pick up the whole lot? If so, and if they want to sell some off, let me know, my wife will be going through the Cleveland area in a couple weeks and could pick some up...

I see that the ad is no longer on CL. Did someone here pick up the whole lot? If so, and if they want to sell some off, let me know, my wife will be going through the Cleveland area in a couple weeks and could pick some up...

Woah weird... I don't know if they sold them all off already or what.

yeah when the add was still up there were some closeups and they were ball lock. not that it helps much now...

At that price it's no shock they are gone. I emailed them directly and asked for a price to ship an entire pallet to my zip code (did not hear back). If I lived closer I would have taken a pallet easily.

Woah weird... I don't know if they sold them all off already or what.

Yeah it really is no surprise. I was baffled to see that many come up all at once! But at 30-35 a piece you can expect them to move pretty quick.

Where on earth are these things hiding in such great quantities? You know I keep my eye open for abandoned or closed restaurants that may have been shuttered around the time cornys stopped being used! You never know if a few canisters are sitting in a back room, propping a door open or were simply never returned to Pepsi for some reason!

Yeah it really is no surprise. I was baffled to see that many come up all at once! But at 30-35 a piece you can expect them to move pretty quick.

Where on earth are these things hiding in such great quantities? You know I keep my eye open for abandoned or closed restaurants that may have been shuttered around the time cornys stopped being used! You never know if a few canisters are sitting in a back room, propping a door open or were simply never returned to Pepsi for some reason!

There are still some soda distributors that have not switched over to bag in a box systems. A couple of weeks ago I went to one and picked up 10 used kegs. The guy was getting out of the business and had pallets of the kegs stacked up (a couple of pallets of CO2 tanks as well). He said that he had already shipped out a tractor/trailer load full of kegs to someone. Sources like this are starting to dry up - hence the jumping in prices - but with some patience and research you can still find them.

I sent an email asking about shipping. Hopefully get a reply. Used cornys in town are outrageously priced and a lot of the cheap online sources are out of kegs. Anyone have a cheap source online if it falls through?

The lhbs is asking 80! Per used corny. Sometimes living in low population areas is a bummer.

wifes uncle made it there today around noon, they parted out other ones to make me 3 good ones. They even pressure checked them. Will just need some cleaning.

I picked up 3 a while ago & now that I'm starting to use them I wish I had gotten more too! Needed to make a kegerator now!

Back