Clementine Session IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rginsburg

Reaction score
Hey, I've finalized a recipe for a partial mash session IPA I'm planning to brew this weekend. Let me know what you guys think!

4 lb Pilsner LME
2.5 lb American- Pale 2-Row
1 lb. Crystal 40
.5 lb Carapils

1 oz. Cascade (30)
1 oz. Citra (15)
1 oz. Mosaic (10)

1 tsp. Irish Moss (15)
1 tsp. Gypsum (15)

12 Clementines
1 oz. Sweet Orange Peel

For the Clementines:

Heat fruit meat in 1/2 gallon of water to 160F, set to cool and add to primary
Peels- set aside and add to secondary.

Thanks for your ideas! First shot at a session IPA

Cut the Crystal in half and replace the lost gravity points with more extract. Mash the 2-row around 147-148 F to offer more dryness and drinkability. Reason being, the grist for the LME was likely mashed around 153-154 F by the maltster.

A simple 60/10/0/DH hop schedule would work better. You'll get more utilization from your hops with higher flavor/aroma.

I would look into adding all of the clementine peels/juice to the secondary. Dryhop with an additional 2 ounces hops in the secondary as well.

So the hop schedule would be:

Boil:
1 oz. Cascade (60)
1 oz. Citra (10)
1 oz. Mosaic (0)

What hops would you recommend for dry-hopping?

I'm trying to move closer to all grain... any other grains you'd recommend subbing in for the crystal?

Thanks

I agree with Bobby on the clementines. They won't add much if they go into primary and without the rinds you won't impart much pure citrus flavor to the finished beer. Fruit juice alone will just ferment out to alcohol and won't leave any real residual aroma or flavor.

So the hop schedule would be:

Boil:
1 oz. Cascade (60)
1 oz. Citra (10)
1 oz. Mosaic (0)

If those are all the hops you have, then I would bitter with 0.50 oz. Mosaic (shift the remaining 0.50 oz. to 10 or 0) and add an additional oz. of a hop of your choice for the whirlpool/hopstand.

What hops would you recommend for dry-hopping?

Any you listed will work.

I'm trying to move closer to all grain... any other grains you'd recommend subbing in for the crystal?

Vienna, English 2-row, Light Munich, Rye, Wheat, or more American 2-row.

Fruit juice alone will just ferment out to alcohol and won't leave any real residual aroma or flavor.

Grapefruit Sculpin seems to have a very apparent fresh grapefruit juice flavor.

Back