Clear or Brown Growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveg5555

Reaction score
I am starting a small brew pub. My logo has a brown background and I would like to use clear growlers simply because it would look awesome. I know about light and hops and skunky (I thought for years that M**sehead was supposed to taste like that, figured crazy Canadians)
As beer heads what is your opinion. Would you buy and fill a clear growler or would you avoid them? I am going to put the "Keep out of the light and drink within 72 hours" warning on the label. Dont want to offend the beer heads with the clear growlers. They dont bother me.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Cheers
Steve

I drink fantastic beer out of clear growlers often. You just keep them in the fridge and get to them quickly, which is what you have to do with growlers anyways! Go for it!

As the consumer if I had a choice, I would buy brown over clear. If your state requires that only brewery labeled growlers can be filled by that brewery and I wanted your beer then I would buy a clear one. I often use growlers to age wine/beer in if I am off in expected volumes for whatever reason. Brown is better than clear for that (my carboys get shrouds).

I have both brown and clear. I will usually buy brown if it is light outside when I buy it. If it is night time then I go with clear. I like having a variety.

In CO, you can fill any type of growler, so I have wonderful double walled SS growlers. But I would buy brown, too risky to skunk a fresh beer.

I personally LOVE clear growlers because the presentation is awesome with being able to see the beer's color.

But as said above, they would be best as a secondary option to the brown ones (also maybe an excuse to get some growler koozies with your logo, so they can store them in the fridge with minimal exposure to light).

As most of you know, growlers stay pretty well-carbonated for weeks if unopened, and I've even found some that tasted fine a few months later. Point being, clear is fine if they plan to drink it soon, but not if you might not get to it for a week or two.

I'd do brown but do not over look the presentation and quality of a nice SS growler. I use 4, swing top and a hydro flask both sets in a 64 and 40oz.

Latest posts

Back