clear 12oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwaynieAD

Reaction score
I'm bottling mead and would rather do it in 12oz beer bottles than wine bottles. I'm looking for clear to show off the gorgeous colors, but I'm having trouble sourcing them. Anyone have a source?

If you can find a case of brava, I picked up 24 clear empties that way

i use corona bottles theyre easy to come by. ***** to get the paint off though

1: Rinse / clean the Corona bottles
2: Fill corona bottles with tap water, then cap the bottles closed. This is to prevent CLR from getting inside the bottle.
3: In a 5 gallon plastic bucket, pour one 28 ounce bottle of CLR.
4: Place corona bottles into 5 gallon plastic bucket, caps up.
5: Add water to plastic bucket until about 1 inch above the label.
6: Let bottles soak for 48 hours.
7: Remove a bottle from the bucket. Use a metal pot scrubber or steel wool and scrub the paint off the bottle. Rinse bottle, and resoak if necessary.

It is a long, slow, tedious process, but it can be done. I have 2 cases of bottles done like this.

Also be aware that Corona bottle necks are very weak, and only a bench capper should be used. Wing cappers will crack / crush the bottle neck.

:mug:

1: Rinse / clean the Corona bottles
2: Fill corona bottles with tap water, then cap the bottles closed. This is to prevent CLR from getting inside the bottle.
3: In a 5 gallon plastic bucket, pour one 28 ounce bottle of CLR.
4: Place corona bottles into 5 gallon plastic bucket, caps up.
5: Add water to plastic bucket until about 1 inch above the label.
6: Let bottles soak for 48 hours.
7: Remove a bottle from the bucket. Use a metal pot scrubber or steel wool and scrub the paint off the bottle. Rinse bottle, and resoak if necessary.

It is a long, slow, tedious process, but it can be done. I have 2 cases of bottles done like this.

Also be aware that Corona bottle necks are very weak, and only a bench capper should be used. Wing cappers will crack / crush the bottle neck.

:mug:

You are diluting your CLR too much. I use a plastic tennis ball can and just soak one corona bottle at a time in Undiluted CLR. After about 5 hours or so you can just wipe the paint off with a damp paper towel. I'm collecting clear bottles for a Chili Beer so you can see the chili in the bottle. I actually cleared the labels off of the corona bottles while it still had corona in it. Just did it one at a time in my beer fridge.

To the original poster - Are you bottling the mead still? I know a lot of Homebrew shops sell 375ml clear corkable bottles.

I use clear 375ml flip tops to bottle my mead. I have also removed paint from bottles, but found that to be a pain in the ass. If you do go that route, use cranberry juice not clr. Works great and is non toxic

Back