cleaning used cornys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
I just got a couple used cornys and Im trying to get them cleaned up to load up tomorrow. its my first set of kegs. They seem to have some crud in them so Im looking for some insight on how to clean them up. questions:

1) I was gonna use a pbw soak for 2 hours to clean all the bits and pieces, inside the empty kegs. is this long enough of a soak or should I go overnight to be careful?

2) Im running low on pbw. is it safe to use oxyclean? I thought I read once that oxyclean isnt good for soaking metal.

3) after the soak I was gonna rinse and spray with star san. Is it cool to pour beer onto the foam?

4) am I missing anything???

Thanks in advance.

When I've cleaned kegs I have always rinsed the keg clean with filtered water two or three times after the last cleaning agent touched it; then air dried it till it was dry to the touch. I'm not sure you would want star san in the keg with the beer.

PBW is good, but oxiclean works too.

One tip- when you take them apart, put the kegs in place with their parts and separate "in" and "out" parts. I know it sounds silly but they are NOT interchangeable and everyday people post on this forum about how they took apart all of their kegs and put them parts in a bowl, and then they have issues.

Kegs have several different manufacturers and the "in" and "out" posts are different on each of them, so you could have like 10 different posts that look seemingly the same!

Oxy does cause problems with aluminum. Its fine for stainless. I usually soak overnight.

I'm a huge fan of Oxiclean and Red Devil TSP. I mix it 4-Parts Oxy with 1-part TSP. I make a batch and it lasts about a year. I think it works better than just plain Oxy.

I pour beer onto small quantities of StarSan without any problems.

3) after the soak I was gonna rinse and spray with star san. Is it cool to pour beer onto the foam?

I usually mix hot water with oxyclean free (no scent/no colors, etc) in the keg, seal it up, shake it around and let it soak for a max of about an hour.

I then rinse it out really well with hot water, then fill back up with hot water and star san mix. I let this soak until I am ready for it!

Once I am ready, I drain the star san, but do not rinse, although you can if you want!

As you hear some say "Never fear the (Starsan) foam!

I clean with oxyclean. I fill about 1/3 with solution then shake and give it a quick co2 blast and run the solution out. I do the same with water to rinse and starssan to sanatize. I then blast with co2 to seal with keg so it's ready to fill when I need it.

Back