Cleaning ripple elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
So what's the best way to clean these ripple elements. I've been winding a blue scrubby pad in and out. It works but just wondering if anyone has had an ahh hah moment and discovered a great new method.

This is how I do it. I was sick of trying to get them clean (bad back makes it hard really). I also thought this would not work out well, but I've been doing it for years after every brew session. I used to fill with water and PBW then heat and circ the water for a while, but that seemed slow and inefficient compared this method.

I wouldn't do it if it wasn't very easy for me to replace an element. Haven't had to yet! I use the ubiquitous Camco #2963 5500W incoloy ripple. I think others here have said SS elements will split if you dry fire them.

I hit it with 100% pwr for about 15s, until the green smoke starts billowing out of the kettle. Then off, clear the smoke, then back on again until the element is cherry red (only red for a few seconds). Then I let it cool completely, then spray with hose. Perfectly clean every time.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKG3UjT0Wz4[/ame]

I don't have much trouble with my camco ripple element building up any residue. If I do, I just fill my kettle up with enough water to cover the element, add some PBW, and heat up to a boil for a while. Element comes out very clean.
I have experimented with passedpawns "self cleaning oven" method before. Yep, it works and probably is harmless to the element.

I used go nuts wiping it down and even went as far as using dental floss wrapped around the element and going back and forth in a sawing motion( if you know what I mean)

Now I just wipe it down with a sponge real quick.

It was getting real crusty after a couple years. It almost looked like the metal was flaking off,and scrubbing wouldn't get it off. It made me nervous so I dry fired it thinking it was time for a replacement anyway. When it got cherry red I killed the power, it only took a few seconds. It smoked like mad. To my surprise it looked brand spankin new again, literally. Not a speck on it. That was a while ago and it still works like a champ.

If you dry fire it DONT do it indoors....ask me how I know

I just wipe mine clean immediately after use with a scubby sponge and get no buildup... maybe its my water thats special? I dont know. I know a few people use a piece of rope to clean the elements as well... pbw takes any light buildup off fast.

Latest posts

Back