Cleaning Mash Tun Cooler Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTU

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm getting ready to brew my first all grain batch (only my third batch ever), and I was cleaning up one of my coolers to use as a mash tun. It was an older cooler and it cleaned up pretty nicely, but I used a little bleach to help sanitize it, and now there is a slight bleach smell to the cooler.

My question is: Will this be absorbed by the beer? If so, what are the recommendations for getting the smell out?

Thank you for any advice.

If your worried about it you could try mixing up a thick slurry of baking soda and water and apply it to the inner liner. Let it sit and dry for a day or so and rinse. I think it would be okay though, considering its in the mash what ever chlorine is in the mash will be boiled off. I don't know how it would affect the conversion process as I'm no expert on the subject.

I'll just add that as the MLT is pre-boil you don't need to sanitize it. A good wipe down and rinse after each batch is all you need. Maybe an oxi soak every few batches.

Latest posts

Back