Cleaning kegs/lines after ~5 years idle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinderbike

Reaction score
Greetings HBT, Have finally gotten back into homebrewing after a very long hiatus.

Had some kegs with beer that I left in there for the last five years as well as beer that has been in the liquid lines. Yes, yes, I know I should have dumped him and filled them with star sign or something five years ago... Don’t judge me!

Anyway - What is my best bet here? Which soaking all the kegs overnight in PBW and replacing all the O-rings be sufficient?

BLC thru the liquid line OK (not dry) or should I just replace it? I would rather not because it’s a pain getting line in my tower.

Sanitize the gas line?

PS: Does PBW (dry form), BLC, Starsan go bad? Should I just buy new stuff?

Thanks in advance. I’m a dumb-dumb.

Tear the kegs down, dump the posts and dip tubes in with PBW and soak them over night. While you're at it, tear apart and toss in your taps, shanks, beer/gas couplers and anything else that's gotten nasty. I'd grab a couple 1 gallon paint straining bags for all the small parts, bag them and use a twist tie so you don't lose anything. New o-rings can't hurt.

As for your liquid lines, absolutely replace them. Pull them apart, scrap the hose and toss the fittings in the kegs with everything else. You'll be new and shiny in no time.

Chemicals should be fine if they were properly stored. Any question on that though (hot garage, freezing cold basement) toss them too and start from scratch.

Solid recommendations so far. I would definitely replace all of the beer lines at least. The EVABarrier recommendation is "state of the art" and should not be readily dismissed as it would definitely be an upgrade. I'd replace all of the keg O-rings (five per keg) and inspect/replace poppets as needed.

I would not count on "soaking" kegs at this point as being sufficient. There are keg cleaning brushes available if your arm isn't long and skinny enough to work a green scrubby all inside the kegs. And definitely invest the small $ in a dip tube brush...

Cheers!

Don’t judge me!

i won't if you don't....i had good luck just cleaning my kegs with PBW, and emptying them through my serving line. the lines looked pretty clean.....not sure if that's sound, but what i did. see note one :mug:

I'd replace all of the keg O-rings (five per keg) and inspect/replace poppets as needed.

good idea after 5 years...don't want an empty cyclinder, or ker-or-ator full of beer....

Back