Cleaning jugs from a barn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruizer8

Reaction score
So I got my hands on a bunch of 1 gallon glass jugs that my father-in-law had in his barn and was thinking of using them. Problem is they are full of muck. I let 2 of them sit in oxyclean for awhile to loosen up the muck and when I poured it out I found mouse bodies and skulls. Some pretty nasty muck is in there. My question is should I still try to use them after a thorough cleaning or just forget about it entirely?

Thanx

I would use them. Try filling them full of water and put them in a pot of boiling water that should get them clean. I had two 6.5 gal carboys that smelled like kerosene. I cleaned them up and sanatized them and they are just fine now good luck Chopps

Thanks for the advice. I think I will oxyclean them a few more times and then boil them like you said. If it were just dirt I wouldn't have had a problem but the mice skulls three me off.

Don't worry about the mouse skulls. They'll add valuable nutrients for the yeast. Especially, when brewing pumpkin pie, vanilla, corriander, lavender, potpourri, tobacco, coffee, pancake syrup flavored stuff.

Back