Cleaning Fermentation Buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1765

Reaction score
How do you guys clean your fermentation buckets? I've been washing them with soap and water after fermentation is over, and then before I use them again I use Star San before adding the wort. I am on my 7th or 8th batch now and have noticed that my bucket has a pretty strong beer smell to it. I like the smell of beer and all but is this effecting the taste of my next batch?

I do a hot soak with OxyClean which gets off all the krausen and stuff from the batch and then rinse with warm water. Prior to using again I sanitize with starsan and have had no problems.

I pretty much use the same process as nubrun except I use PBW. It doesn't remove the beer smell for me. I haven't noticed any taste problems so far. On another note, you might want to be careful with the soap you are using, as that might give you some problems with off flavors.

A good cleaning with a non-abrasive cleaner and wash cloth should be all that's needed. Aromas from previous batches of beers do not carry over in any kind of meaningful way. I have done IPAs followed by cream ales without any carryover of hops or other IPA characteristics. Keep out the scratches. Good cleaning followed by sanitizing prior to use is sufficient.

I do what you do. Dawn soap and a sponge made for non-stick pots and pans and StarSan before the next batch goes in. One of my older buckets has 57 tally marks on it (one for each brew). It is well seasoned and custom colored. When I make IPAs they come out smelling and tasting like IPAs. When I make a Porter it comes out tasting like a Porter. So no...I do not think the smell effects the next batch in a negative way.

I was putting 3-4 TBSP's of PBW in my fermenters, then filling with water to the top of the krausen line. Soaked for a couple days till all the crud fell off. Not much smell left. Well, I got tired of waiting, maybe the cleaner soaking into the plastic ( none so far), so I switched the process.
I pour an 5qt ice cream pail of water in it & swish it around to dump the yeast I'm not washing down the head. Then take it outside & fire up the garden hose. I set it for a spray that's about 3-4" wide at no more than 12" distance. Then hose all the crud outta the inside that way. Dump that & repeat till clean. Then Remove the spigot & soak it in PBW to loosen the crud inside it. I use a set of 3 aquarium filter lift tube brushes to clean inside the spigot & spout. Also to brush the seals & lock lug. Then rinse well. I use a soft cloth soaked in Starsan to wipe down the bucket & the spigot mounting hole. Dip the spigot & parts in Starsan & re-assemble wet. I hit it with Starsan again right before filling...no smell after that.

if the smell bothers you that much and your worried (as others said will not transfer over) Keep one bucket for lighter beers and another for darker beers and maybe a separate one all together for IPA's. Lastly you could switch over to glass. No smells ever once soaked with Oxyclean Free and rinse.

Latest posts

Back