Cleaning bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edpietrzak

Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations on what to use as a cleaner for the bottles that I've been collecting from drinking lots of six packs. I got most of the labels off and now I just want to give them a good cleaning before bottling day where I will sanitize and then bittle. This is my first batch so I don't want to make a mistake of using a detergent that will ruin the beer.

Thanks!

If I am doing a lot I fill my tub halfway with water, toss in a couple scoops of oxi clean then fill the tub with bottles and let them soak a bit. I do the same for kegs if they need a deep clean or when I first get them.

When I empty them though I rinse them right out and let them dry then all they really need is a quick starsan rinse before bottling... not that I bottle much any more.

Oh and get Oxi Free if you can... it doesn't have perfume and whatnot in it.

I soak all my bottles in a pretty strong PBW solution. Leave them for a couple hours or so and most labels just float right off, as well as anything else that might be in them (even moldy, been sitting for months crap in the bottom just floats up and out). Just rinse by filling halfway with water, shaking and pouring a couple times and they're as clean as a bottle can get, no residues or anything. Store them in 12 packs and sanitize on bottling day.

Back