Cleaning Bottles - Too Much Bleach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffettPack

Reaction score
Made my first mistake before I even received my first homebrew kit.

I've been saving up bottles to get ready for my first batch. Decided tonight to soak them in bleach (had read in book) to remove labels and clean them. Problem is I read the instructions on the bleach label vs. consulting the book or this site. Per the label instructions, I used 2/3rd cup per 1 gallon. I made 4 gallons initially (3 cups) and then added 2-3 more gallons as I could tell it was too strong. I then soaked my bottles in it. Did OK removing labels. Managed to get 40 of them (10 of them were impossible).

My hands dried out pretty quick. Came inside and read that I should have used 1 tbs. I quickly rinsed them all in the hottest water I could get from my tap. I also plan to soak them in star san when my sanitizer arrives with the kit. Question I have is, other than dry hands, any potential problems down the line from using too much bleach for the soak?

Not sure if there is a running list somewhere, but...

Highland Brewery (Asheville, NC) were the easiest. Estrella was a close 2nd. Dos Equis and Saranac were mildly difficult. Magic Hat was difficult. Duck Rabbit was impossible. I bought a 12 of Sam Adams on the way home to finish off the future bottles (read they were easy).

Next time soak them in a dilute Oxy Clean solution. Use the Free and Clear Oxyclean and soak the bottles overnight. The labels will be floating in the water with the bottles by morning. No scrubbing. I also dunk the bottles in a vinegar/water solution before sanitizing to completely rinse and neutralize the oxyclean. Works great for me.

As for your bleached bottles now, I'd rinse then in clean running water very well then maybe even try some vinegar water to kill the bleach taste/smell. Then of course sanitize in Starsan or idophor.

Good Luck!

Thanks!

Will definitely go the oxyclean route next time. Kicking myself for not doing it this time. Bleach proved to be difficult.

As you correctly did, rinsing the bottles in hot water will remove the bleach. No need to go over the top, just a couple of quick rinses with the hot water.

Cold water will not get rid of the bleach film, which is why you use hot.

Removing labels: For most, I just soak in hot dish water for about 30 minutes and most come off easily. You will need a scouring pad (rough plastic scourer) to get the residual glue off; just wipe the bottle under hot running water.

For the most stubborn labels or the sticky residue they leave behind I always find Goo Gone cleans them up nicely.

I cut out the extra work by soaking my bottles in PBW solution overnight. The labels float off (except for Rogue & Smithwick's),& the glue is either dissolved away or very soft. I use a dobie & bottle brush to finish them very quickly. Then rinse & onto the bottle tree to dry. Then store in a sturdy box that has flaps to close & keep'em clean.

I use either PBW or oxyclean. I just cleaned about 80 bottles over the past two days and after a couple hours of soaking in oxyclean and water the labels fall off. Some need a little rubbing by hand, but between that and rinsing they come off real easy.

Latest posts

Back