Cleaning bottles after use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck21

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to use some of my bottles for the second time. When I first got my bottles I soaked overnight in oxyclean, scrubbed with bottle brush, rinsed, and then sanitized before filling. After I pour and empty a bottle I have been very good about rinsing them out with water within 5 minutes. When they dry out I either put them in a 24 pack box with lid or in 6 pack carriers and covered in plastic wrap. Now that I am getting ready to fill these bottles again my question is if I have done enough to keep them clean and can just sanitize before I bottle or do I need to actually clean them again in oxyclean? I feel pretty confident that they have remained clean during storage (nothing that I am able to see has gotten into them), but am still a little leery of skipping the cleaning step when you always hear about how important cleaning and sanitizing are. How do other people handle their cleaning when reusing bottles? Thanks in advance.

I d still soak them in some PBw or oxy whatever you use then proceed with sanitizing, you could never be too careful when bottling. I'd hate my self for ruining a batch upon bottling when every step before so was done cleanly ..also all my invested time

I agree, I'd go throught the whole process again. That's what I do, at least. Could you get away with less? Probably.

I was having infection issues some time ago, started using PBW to clean bottles for every batch and the issue was resolved.
I soak bottles in PBW, then run through a rinse and hot dry cycle in the dishwasher. When they are all dried out I put em in a star san bucket until bottling.
Pull a bottle out/empty from the starsan, fill, cap, repeat.

I rinse bottles really well with hot water right after emptying. Then they dry and get stored upside down. I will visually inspect before bottling, and if it looks absolutely clean, they get sanitized and filled. No problems so far.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness. (God obviously doesn’t like infected beer.) I rinse after the pour and I wash prior to sanitizing and bottling. I didn’t like the film oxyclean left so I had to rinse after washing. Since I started using a no rinse cleaner like PBW or the others it’s a snap to wash them. The added time is nominal.

Bottle brush with hot water to remove anything solid then soak in star San until pulled out to fill an cap

I use the following: rise well after use, soak in Oxy to remove labels and initial clean, bottle brush, rinse, and store till ready to sanitise. On that day I would Oxy again, bottle brush, rinse with hot water, soak in one step for 30 minutes, rinse with hot water twice then place in a dishwasher bottoms up. After dry I cover with a piece of aluminum foil till needed. Has worked so far, no problems.

Back