Cleaning an auto-syphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brew pretty infrequently right now, so much of my cheap tubing I plan to just replace each batch now. Except I don't want to spend $20 each batch on a new auto-syphon.

How do you guys go about cleaning that thing?

If you don't clean it immediately after each use, you probably have to get rid of built-up gunk. To do that, I use PBW or Oxyclean in a hot water solution for a few hours.

Then I dip everything into an iodine solution to sanitize. You could also run iodine through the autosiphon.

If you do clean the autosiphon right after you use it, then dipping in an iodine solution would probably be enough.

Immediately after use, I pump a warm oxyclean solution through it and the attached hose. Then disassemble and rinse. I've had the same auto siphon and tubing for four years now....no worries.

I rinse it and the tubing right after using. If I see any build up I soak in oxyclean. On brew day I check then clean as necessary then sanitize with Starsan. I have used the same equipment since last July with no worries.

IMO, with proper cleaning it is a waste of $$ to use new tubing each brew.

I had a problem with my last autosiphon where the tubing got stuck on it... Is it safe to just leave it attached and clean it that way? I broke my first one trying to get the tubing off

Just take a razor blade and slit the tubing lengthwise where it is attached to the auto siphon. It will pop right of with a little tug after that.

Run hot water over the connection between the racking cane and the tubing. It will soften up and be easy to remove.

I had a problem with my last autosiphon where the tubing got stuck on it... Is it safe to just leave it attached and clean it that way? I broke my first one trying to get the tubing off

mscg4u said:

Soak it in hot water for half an hour, it will loosen up and slide right off

Whether I'm brewing the next day or in a few months, I wash everything in oxyclean/PBW. No reason to replace anything.

Also, where are you paying $20 for an autosiphon?

I brew pretty infrequently right now, so much of my cheap tubing I plan to just replace each batch now. Except I don't want to spend $20 each batch on a new auto-syphon.

How do you guys go about cleaning that thing?

The tube I'm talking specifically about is the one which drains the brew kettle into the fermenter. To replace that 3' would cost me like 30 cents.

It sounded like you were talking about the tubing on the autosiphon. Cost = ?

Still why not clean it and use it for ? years and save the $.30 each time?

Also I think that tubing that fits my kettle valve costs more that 30 cents.

Back