Clean out pipe in driveway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewse

Reaction score
I recently bought a new house and it has a clean out pipe in the top of the driveway.

I brew in my garage. In my old house, I drained the excess water from my chiller down the driveway as I cool the wort. In my new house, I was thinking I could just put the chiller hose down the clean out pipe instead of letting it flow down the drive way.

Does anyone know of any issues by draining into the clean out pipe?

The clean out just extends off of a change in direction of the pipe. There wouldn't be much issue, unless flow issues are present.
Is it a waste line cleanout, or a stormwater cleanout?

The clean out just extends off of a change in direction of the pipe. There wouldn't be much issue, unless flow issues are present.
Is it a waste line cleanout, or a stormwater cleanout?

It's a waste line clean out. I didn't think there would be an issue but I'm a crappy plumber at best.

Actually... A trap isn't a bad idea. Just build a small trap that threads into the plug's place. Fill it with some water. Use a coupler to make a funnel so you can pour into the top pipe.

or collect a couple five gallon buckets of water from it and use that to clean..

I just hook mine to a sprinkler and water my lawn; it's helpful here in parched Texas. The first few very hot gallons are collected for cleanup water.

Never allow the first bit of hot water to soak your lawn. I did that once and it took a year for the 2-foot dead patch to regrow.

I used to run that hot water straight into the washing machine and do a load of whites. The layout of our new house doesn't allow that, so I'm still figuring out what to do other than just dump it.

But as to your question, if it's the type of cleanout I'm thinking of, no problem.

Or water the lawn?

I tapped into my water heaters "pressure relief / vent line" since it is already plumbed through the wall and into the backyard planter. Works awesome. I also tapped into the cold water in from my water heater so I have cold in and hot out on quick connects. Makes garage brewing super convenient.

Back