Class of '88 Barleywine. I have had some, now I want more...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzur

Reaction score
So my FIL brought me some of this limited release Class of 88 barleywine from North Coast Brewery.. The recipe is part of a joint effort from North Coast, Rogue, and Descutes, for several beers for their combined 25 year anniversary.
As far as barleywines go I have not had anything else quite like it, Light in color and malt flavors heavier on the citrus/piney hops. Comes through more like a light pale ale, but w/ a heavy %10 ABV, (Dangerously good). from the info off the bottle and off of deschutes website i have come up w/ this. I only have a couple of AG recipes under my Belt and haven't yet attempted this big of a beer any tips would be awesome.

From the Bottle:
OG - 1.093
BG - 1.022 (Bottling Gravity??)
IBU - 75
Color - 7.5 SRM

From the Website:

Rogue and North Coast Brewing Co. have joined forces with us to recreate a craft beer classic.

A hoppy citrus aroma radiates from this pale amber Barley Wine Ale. Its sturdy malt backbone is balanced with clean bitterness. Finishes pleasantly without overpowering.

Malt: Pale, Carahell, Maris Otter
Hops: Nugget, Millennium, Northern Brewer, Cascade, Mosaic

From Me screwing around on Beersmith:
5 Gallon Batch @ 75% Eff.
13.5# Pale 2 Row
2# MO
2# 10L Crystal
.75oz Nugget 31.9 IBU @ 60
.5oz Northern Brewer 10.7 IBU @ 30
1oz Millenium 23.2 IBU @15
1oz Simcoe 8.5 @ 5
1oz Cascade Dry Hop in secondary for 7 days

Mash @ 150-1* For 1hr Sparge w/ 168*
Est. OG 1.095,74.3 IBU,7.5 SRM
Not sure what yeast to use on this, any input would be awesome.

Thanks

To bad nobody had any input. I would like to recreate this beer. It's really good. I'll research it and see what I come up with. Did you brew this recipe?

I just bought a couple bottles of the Deschutes version. Amazing barleywine. Saving the other bottles in the cellar

Was this only produced in '13? If so, I just had a 5 year aged barleywine. So awesome. I'm kinda sad I uncorked it without having anyone around to share it with.

I remember having this beer some time back, and it seems like '13 would have been about right. It was good then. It is awesome now.

Last edited:
Back