Clarity Ferm in commercial beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegasoz

Reaction score
Not looking to get into a debate over this product. Not looking for a science lesson or medical advice either. I'm a gluten intolerant home brewer that has had success using clarity ferm in APA and IPA beers. I would love to know what commercial brewers are using clarity ferm in their recipes. Please respond with breweries that are. I am already aware of 2 Brothers Prairie Path and Brunehaut. 3floyds do any? Revolution? Stone? Bells? Anyone? Thanks!

I think you'll just have to ask the breweries directly, but I doubt any of them would want to make a guarantee that their beers would be ok for someone with gluten intolerance. Also, does clarity ferm break down the gluten proteins from wheat? I thought it just took care of barley (could be wrong on that). A lot of brewers throw a little bit of wheat into their beers.

Omission is leading the charge. They are very transparent with their process and results.

Omission from Widmer as noted. Their lab results for each batch are posted online.
There are also gluten free breweries that don't use it because they use different ingredients...

Thanks guys. Well aware of Omission. I have emailed several breweries and have been anxiously awaiting feedback. I will gladly post any feedback I get from the several I reached out to.

Stone has used clarityferm in some of their beers and they label them as such ("gluten-reduced")

I just added clarity ferm to a lager I just pitched the yeast into and was wondering the same thing. One thought that occurred to me is that it would be damn expensive on a commercial scale.

Stone has used clarityferm in some of their beers and they label them as such ("gluten-reduced")

Yes, in their "Delicious IPA". That is not all that remarkable. However, what is remarkable is that they post gluten-test lab results for every single batch on their website! Yes, it's trackable! :ban:

I don't have a problem with gluten but that's cool.

Resurrected.

Yards Brewing out of Philly uses it on their Brawler beer, which is a unique brew, kinda light brown w a little chestnut flavor. I like it.

Depending on how bad you react I probably wouldn’t do it unless the brewery confirmed it was used, either by talking to them or the label. I know a local brewery that uses it but I can’t tell you for sure that they use it on absolutely every batch. Maybe they ran out, maybe they did a test, maybe they just didn’t bother with it one day.

Back