Clarifying Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper74

Reaction score
The last time I mixed up a batch of Star San, I was out of distilled water. As a result, I used my well water and it immediately turned cloudy. As usual, I filled my airlock with Star San, which, of course, was cloudy. The next morning, I found my airlock starting to bubble and--to my surprise--it appeared that the Star San was starting to clear. By evening, the Star San in the airlock was crystal clear. I brewed another batch yesterday, and the same process is happening. I assume that the CO2 flowing through the cloudy Star San clarifies it? Does anyone know why this happens?

Huh. That's a new one. First time I heard that observation. Very interesting.
With pets,dust,grainy leftovers etc in my brewing equipment,I need to filter mine. I have a radiator filling funnel that fits gallon jugs perfectly with coffee filters. Filters out pet dander,grainy stuf,etc. Even makes it a hair less cloudy. But your observation might be interesting to play with. Likle some kind of rig to put the starsan in & slowly bubble co2 through it to clear it up?...

But your observation might be interesting to play with. Likle some kind of rig to put the starsan in & slowly bubble co2 through it to clear it up?...

That's a great idea--Maybe hook up a blowoff tube so that the co2 bubbles through my full bucket of Star San to maybe clear up the full batch of it? I'm not sure if the co2 would neutralize the Star San, but I could just check the ph after it clears to see if it will still sanitize?

It may be due to a drop in pH? Bubbling CO2 through the liquid will saturate it and increase the amount of carbonic acid in the solution, that may clear it up. Just a guess.

Back