Clarifying in the Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I have an IPA that I just kegged today with some priming sugar. It is still pretty cloudy (and will likely get cloudier bc of the priming sugar). I was wondering if I could do anything to clarify it now that it is in the keg other than cold crashing it or adding gelatin to the keg? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Two things you can do...1. Gelatin 2. Wait it out...I've noticed it takes about a month for my beers to perfectly clear up in the keg.

I understand it may not be what you want to hear but those are pretty much your options...and besides there is nothing wrong with a cloudy beer!

Is there a reason you are priming in the keg as opposed to just putting it on gas to carb up? Just curious - some people prefer keg priming, but considering it's an IPA, I'd want to get it carbed asap.

I force carb so I am sure my technique will give a but different results. But I run my keezer at about 34deg F as the wife and I like our beer on the very cold side. This puts me close to cold crash temps, add a half package of gelatin to the keg when ready to go in the keezer. By the time they are carbed up I pull the first pint with the gelatin mess and they are crystal clear after that.

Is there a reason you are priming in the keg as opposed to just putting it on gas to carb up? Just curious - some people prefer keg priming, but considering it's an IPA, I'd want to get it carbed asap.

I am priming it in the keg because I have a keg hooked up to the kegerator as is and I don't have a secondary pressure regulator.

Regardless, when you put it into the kegerator it will cold crash it. After 2-3 days all of the sediment will sink to the bottom and you will get a glass of junk before great beer. Whether or not you add gelatin before then will save you those 2-3 days but it will fall out.

Are both kegs in the kegerator? If so you can take the gas off the 1st. beer and put gas on the new 2nd keg. The 1st keg will have pressure and continue to dispense without gas. You can even crank the psi to 35 for 24 hours to force carb the 2nd keg. Read other thread on it.

Regardless, when you put it into the kegerator it will cold crash it. After 2-3 days all of the sediment will sink to the bottom and you will get a glass of junk before great beer. Whether or not you add gelatin before then will save you those 2-3 days but it will fall out.

So gelatin doesn't make it clear more... just faster?

My experiences with Gelatin are few, but the ones that I have used Gelatin on have been far clearer than those without. Gelatin is a super effective, cheap way to clear beers and works quite fast. As stated above your first pint will be cloudy, but the remaining beer in the keg will be crystal clear.

Not sure it matters. If you want clear beer there is no such thing as too clear. If you put gelatin in one keg and serve identical keg without gelatin next to it the gelatin beer will aways be "ahead" of the no gelatin beer in clarity. Yes eventually the no gelatin beer will be pretty clear but if you still have beer left at that point the gelatin beer will be brilliant.

also you want it already cold when you fine with gelatin. I keg carb some of my beers - usually do to keezer space consideration - and when I do and I want to fine with gelatin I keg condition at room temp, then put keg in keezer a few days before serving. I wait till it gets cold and then pop off the top and add gelatin. Close it back up, hook up the gas, purge the head space, then wait a couple days. Results frequently just about as good as force carbing the keg from start.

Definitely faster. Gelatin will make it more clear, also, but cold crashing alone goes a loooong way. Depends if you want clear or super crystal clear.

The time factor is the major differentiator.

Once chilled it's a matter of a day or two when using gelatin to end up with remarkably clear beer.
Otoh, depending on the yeast it can take a good couple/few weeks to get close by just cold conditioning...

Cheers!

Back