• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

CL 3g Keg find - not mine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those have been on CL for a bit of time. If I didn't already have a few I'd buy em.

I never understood the appeal nor why it cost so much more than a 5 gallon. If you wanted smaller batches or to split your batch it makes more sense for the same price pick up a couple 5 gallons and just blow off the head space with CO2...

I never understood the appeal nor why it cost so much more than a 5 gallon. If you wanted smaller batches or to split your batch it makes more sense for the same price pick up a couple 5 gallons and just blow off the head space with CO2...

The only reason the 5gals we use are cheap is due to Coke/Pepsi having millions and millions of decommissioned ones from before they switched to the box-syrup concentrate. Look at the picture. The 3gal ones are all new(ish). That's why they're expensive.

Appeal? Maybe people putting them in minifridges? IDK.

Hmmm, hadn't considered the space requirement. I guess I'm fortunate to not have to be concerned. And I get the law of supply/demand... but the costs of these tiny ones is more than the savings of getting a larger fridge and using 5 gallons kegs. That said, if I was in Seattle, I might still buy one just b/c they're midget size and fun to look at.

With 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs, I can have up to four different brews in my brew fridge (three faucets in the door too). If I was using 5 gallon kegs, I might be able to fit two in the same fridge. Since I'm in a smallish 1 bedroom apartment, I don't have the space for a keezer, or second full size fridge for brew/kegs. So the smaller ones are a better idea for me. I do plan on getting a keezer setup (or larger brew fridge) once I move to a larger place. But that's at least a few months off. I didn't want to wait for that to happen before I got into kegging.

Buddy of mine pointed out that the plastic lids often mean they were repurposed from chemical supply companies. He also said that he wouldn't trust one with a plastic lid since the minis they use at his (wafer manufacturing) job hold some pretty nasty stuff.

Some of the Pepsi plants, as late as a little over a year ago (when I left OR) were still shutting down. Plastic barrels, 5 and 2.5 gal kegs, etc were being thrown away or scrapped by Pepsi. Some employees were smart enough to grab them...

I bought 6x 2.5 gallon kegs from a guy that'd gotten them from a shutting down pepsi plant for $10 each - to him they were worth LESS than 5 gallon kegs. They were still full of pepsi concentrate. It sounded like the rest were already at the scrap yard - I should have followed up on that but never did (again, this was over a year ago).

They're still out there, full of soda. Just gotta find em.

Portability...I did mine after seeing EdWort's. I transfer carbed beer from 5G kegs into it using a keg-to-keg jumper cable:

IMG_20111225_152904-1.jpg

Back