Citrus Focused American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddy_Hawk

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Been learning and soaking up knowledge on these forums for a while, time to start sharing and posting as well.

here's my brew from this past weekend, my goal was for a citrusy/hoppy Double IPA, which resulted in more of an American APA (which is not so bad, other than maybe the bittering). I found some of the Belma hops super cheap at Hopsdirect, and thought I'd give them a shot playing with some Cascade.

Let me know your thoughts, always open to suggestions.

Here was my original recipe... I'll add "actual" comments next on how it went and what changed.

16 lb 2-row Rahr 88%
1 lb Carapils 5%
1 lb Crystal 60L 5%

1 oz Super Galena 12% AA 20 min (pellet)
1 oz Belma 10.4% AA 20 min (leaf)
2 oz Cascade 7.0% AA 15 min (pellet)
2 oz Belma 10.4% AA 5 min (leaf)
1 oz Belma 10.4% AA 3 min (leaf)
1 oz Cascade 7.0% AA 3 min (pellet)
1 oz Belma 10.4% AA 1 min (leaf)
1 oz Cascade 7.0% AA 1 min (pellet)
3 oz Belma 10.4% AA during Wort cooling at 190 deg. F (leaf)
3 oz Cascade 7.0% AA during Wort cooling at 190 deg. F (pellet)

2 oz Cascade 7.0% AA dry hop 5 days (pellet)

California Ale Yeast White Labs WLP001 (made a 48 hour starter)

Original Estimated OG 1.078
Original Estimated FG 1.018
70 IBU
7.8% ABV
9 SRM

Open to comments, Im here to learn!

Daddy Hawk

Soooooo.....

as everyone knows, with kids, it's tough to get a good amount of time with "nothing" to do.

I ran into a time crunch, and ended up mashing for the first 40 minutes at around only 140 F (was shooting for 149). When I got back home from doing a "Kid run" pickup from football/cheer/rehearsal... I added hot water to bring it up towards 145 F, and let it rest for a total of 90 minutes.

End results due to this change, my OG was only about 1.062, instead of my predicted 1.078.

I wasn't crushed by this, you just have to go with the flow from here.

It seems to fit well into the American IPA route with these results, other than maybe the higher bitterness, but hey... I love the hops, so that's ok by me.

Just wanted to let you all know what changed, and how it's going.

Brewed this Sunday night, Fermentation started in about 6 hours, and is still going strong.

The leaf hops.. man, what a mess. Which brings up a question. Do you guys try and put all the hops into the fermentation, or sort of separate out, since the oils from the hops would be residing within the wort at that point?

I'd typically put it all in if using pellet form, and let it all simply settle out. but with the leafs, I opted to leave the "salad" of hops behind!

looks and smells good so far though.

:drunk:

Daddy_Hawk

I leave the majority of the hops (leaf) out of the fermenter, it's just too much debris. The recipe looks good, I would just reduce the c60 to a half lb and add .5 to 1 lb sugar. This will up the OG a tad and let it finish a lot lower than 1.018, my DIPAs which are partial mash with some LME finish around 1.012.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back