Cider with Peach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmfurbee

Reaction score
Threw five gallons of apple juice into a carboy with champagne yeast like usual, but this time added a half gallon of fresh juiced peach. First batch came out uncarbonated and more bitter than I expected. Any thoughts to tweak the second (same recipe) batch when I bottle tonight?

Threw five gallons of apple juice into a carboy with champagne yeast like usual, but this time added a half gallon of fresh juiced peach. First batch came out uncarbonated and more bitter than I expected. Any thoughts to tweak the second (same recipe) batch when I bottle tonight?

if you can keg, my immediate choice would be to add the peach juice to the keg. it would likely taste more peachy and would give a little sweetness.

I agree with sticky, Peaches have a lot of acidity, but that is balanced with the natural sweetness. If you ferment out the peaches you'll get acidity and alcohol. There are several methods to stabilize the cider so the yeast won't kick off another round of fermentation, get that done and add the peach juice. Or, if you are going to drink the whole keg in a week or two, cold crash the cider, rack it to the keg and then add the peach juice and keep it cold. The yeast will start working, but if you keep it at beer serving temperature, and if you drink it within a couple of weeks it should be OK.

Thanks everyone. I haven't tried the second batch yet, but the first batch spoiled. Not *quite* to an undrinkable level, but pretty much. A buddy suggested a process to convert into a cooking vinegar, which I might try out. Thanks for all the help and advice, from a long-time lurker!

Give the cans of Vintners' Harvest fruit puree a try if you want fruit. it is pasteurized and very consistent in character and gives a nice fruit character that is not too acidic.

Look in the canned fruit section of your local grocery store. Pour off the heavy syrup (or not) and mash the fruit to add to your cider. I have had good results using this method. If you can find the fruit you want canned in juice instead of heavy syrup-then use the juice too. Apricots are a very complimentary with apples as well as peaches. There is a white grape peach juice blend that makes dynamite cider when mixed with apple juice.A large portion of the bottled juice containing the white grape and peach juices also already has a large percentage of apple juice in it.

Back