Cider with Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zackmon21

Reaction score
I have a cider with the dusty white bulbly crust. It smells fine smelled vinegarery adcitic at begining forgot for a monthish and found this. I guess my washed yeast got infected? But it tasted good before the pellicile a month ago. How long do I let it sit with brett or secondary?

Did you use pasteurized cider? If not that might be the source of the microbes.

I have my first funky cider still sitting in secondary after ~9 months. Cider is pretty fermentable, so there really isn’t too much for the bugs to eat after primary fermentation is complete. Mine just has a “rustic” aroma, and a subtle acidity that helps to add to the apple character. You can bottle it as soon as the gravity stabilizes, but I find cider ages well so I prevent myself from drinking it by bulk aging it.

I just used cheap frozen cider and cinnamon was gotten to backsweeten for wife she didn't like my complex crannapple tart cider. Oh well hope I got something good and get a new carboy for a basic cider

cider will always go down to at 1.00 unless you cold crash and rack causing a stuck fermentation.

if its at 1 or lower then its done, if its higher let it sit.

brett takes time to really develop character, the longer you let it sit the better it could get

Latest posts

Back