Cider w/ Wyeast 4184: She'd dead Jim!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebstauffer

Reaction score
Well, I've given up. Made cider last fall, five gallons using WLP775, five gallons with Wyeast 4184 'Sweet Mead'. Fermented side by side, same process, same temp same everything except yeast. The 4184 is wretchedly cursed with h2s. I've racked four times, forced carbed via the "out" tube on my corny and gassed off daily for a month. Even did two treatments with Reduless. Although the sulfur smell has drastically diminished since I first kegged, it's still undrinkable. Really disappointed about this. The 775 is just perfect, really really good. Hopefully I can leave it be for 6 months. Not sure if there's much left to do with the 4184. It will be painful for me to tip it out.

5 Gallons Cider
Born: 10 October 2013
Dying: 8 Feb 2014
Tipped: Imminent...

Our thought and prayers go out to you and your yeast. It always hurts to dump a loved one.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sorry to hear about your sulfur problem. I would suggest co2 exposure and maybe running it over copper to try to release some sulfur, but I have a feeling you might know it's time. You also could try aging, maybe pectin enzyme, racking, aging again?

I have 5 gallons right now and it's my first batch I'm truly worried about the sulfur.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back