Cider very bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raubrey227

Reaction score
Hey. This is my first time brewing cider. I fermented it for three weeks, then moved it to a secondary about 5 days ago. I took a sample to measure the brix (I have a refractometer). It's at about 7.2% ABV. I tasted the sample since it would go to waste anyway, and it was very bitter and dry. I don't think it turned to vinegar, but the flavor is definitely off. Any suggestions?

Either let it age for a very long time or backsweeten it with some apple juice or sugar and cold crash it to stop fermentation

drink 3 glasses before deciding you don't like it. My first batch of cider was very dry, but after drinking a few glasses I decided that it wasn't half bad.

I like almost anything after three glasses..........except my first cider :drunk:

Seriously though, if you post up your recipe/process I'm sure you'll be able to get some advice on here. Otherwise, as oldmate said, time is always your friend. Leave it for a few months, then have three glasses & let us know what you think. From what I've read, cider can take a long time to mellow to the point where it actually tastes good.

Back